A healthy light snack or meal, these Raw Zucchini Wraps with simple vegan Kale Pesto are delicious and so easy to make!
One delicious bite after another!
Not only are these zucchini roll-ups super healthy, but they’re refreshing, filling and fun to make. All these vibrant colors are good for you – full of antioxidants, nutrients, fiber and yes, even protein!
Fresh and raw is a beautiful way to eat. For optimal healthy, it’s recommended that at least half of our daily food consumption should be raw foods.
That’s not always easy, but hopefully this will be a fun way to add some rawness to your life. Your mind, body and soul will thank you!
Ingredients You’ll Need
Thinly sliced zucchini is layered with kale pesto, fresh veggies and rolled into bite size zucchini wraps for a healthy and refreshing appetizer or light lunch.
Here is everything you will need:
- Bell peppers
- Sprouts or micro greens
- Olive oil
- Salt & pepper
How To Make Zucchini Wraps
- Kale Pesto: To make the simple vegan kale pesto, place the ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend until somewhat smooth, or desired consistency.
- Zucchini Strips: Start by cutting of the ends of the zucchini, and slicing or peeling the zucchini lengthwise into thin strips. A medium sized zucchini will yield about 10 strips.
- Assemble: Lay the zucchini strip on a flat surface, add about 1/2 – 1 teaspoon of kale pesto to 2/3 of the slice, stating at one end. Add a few micro greens to one end, than place a slice of carrot, and bell peppers on top. Starting at the end with the veggies, roll the zucchini strip into a wrap, place a toothpick on the end to hold it together. Finish it off with a sprinkle of salt and pepper.
How To Store Leftovers
- Refrigerator: Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. The zucchini will soften a bit after a day or so. For best presentation, serve right away or within a few hours of making.
- If making ahead, keep your zucchini wraps stored in the refrigerator to ensure they stay chilled and at their best!
Perfect for entertaining, bring raw zucchini wraps to your next potluck, game day party or picnic for a healthy vegan snack or appetizer. They’re great as a light lunch, dinner or make ahead meal for brown bag lunches too!
More Easy Pesto Recipes
If you enjoy a good pesto, be sure to take a look at this:
- Spicy Kale Pesto w/ Zucchini Noodles
- Creamy Zucchini Pesto + ‘Noodles’
- Cilantro Pepita Pesto + Carrot & Zucchini Ribbons
- or this classic Basil Walnut Pesto!
If you try this raw zucchini wrap recipe, please let me know! Leave a comment and rate it below. I love to hear what you think, or any changes you make.Print
RAW ZUCCHINI WRAPS + KALE PESTO
A healthy appetizer with zucchini, vegan kale pesto, bell peppers, carrots and micro greens. Make these for your next party or get together!
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: Serves 10, 2 wraps per serving 1x
- Category: Appetizer, Snack
- Cuisine: Vegan, Raw
- 2 zucchini, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into thin strips or julienned
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into thin strips or julienned
- handful carrots, julienned (I used baby carrots, cut into quarters)
- sprouts/micro greens of choice
- cilantro, optional
- fresh cracked pepper & mineral salt
- tooth picks
Small Batch Kale Pesto
- 2 cups kale, packed (or 1 cup basil & 1 cup kale)
- 2 tablespoons almonds
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tablespoons tahini, optional
- 3 tablespoons or so extra virgin olive oil (use water for oil-free)
- himalayan salt, to taste
Veggies: Amounts for the vegetables will vary on how many your making, use your best judgement on how much you will need. 1 medium zucchini will make about 10 thin strips. If you can’t find sprouts or micro greens, try using cilantro or fresh basil leaves.
Kale pesto: Place ingredients into food processor and process until desired consistency. Taste for seasoning.
Assemble: Lay your zucchini flat on a hard surface, layer with the pesto, place sprouts and 1 of each veggie in a mound on one end. Roll into a wrap and stick with a toothpick in the center. Top with mineral salt & cracked pepper.
Store: Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. The zucchini will soften a bit after a day or so. For best presentation, serve right away or within a few hours of making.
Look for the smaller zucchini, they will be the perfect size for these bite size rolls. The length and width is just right, especially if using a peeler to cut into thin strips.
Use a mandolin to slice the zucchini. There are different types of mandolins from hand held to box types. Some have adjustments so you can decide how thick or thin you want your slices. If this is new to you do a google search and find the right one for you. I’m actually using a peeler, works great and is very easy to use!
If using tahini, you may need a tablespoon or so more water, use your best judgement. You don’t want runny pesto, pesto should be a thick paste.
Make your kale pesto nut free by subbing the almonds with pepitas or sunflower seeds.
Updated: This Raw Zucchini Wraps was originally published on April 2013, and has been updated with new photos and helpful tips on April 2019.