Fresh from the oven, warm Delicata Squash Fries are the BEST! This roasted winter squash recipe is super easy and only requires 3 ingredients!
I absolutely love eating seasonally for two reasons, one because it’s cheaper, and secondly, it makes it more exciting to anticipate the coming seasonal harvest.
These roasted delicata squash fries are a simple way to enjoy this seasonal vegetable and something to look forward to each year as fall arrives.
So without further ado, let’s get to it!
Delicata Squash Fries Ingredients
- Delicata squash
- Olive oil – or use your favorite neutral flavored oil
- Sea salt (or mineral salt)
- Sriracha, or condiment of choice
How To Prep & Cut Delicata Squash
Scrub and dry your squash. Trim ends off. Cut squash in half lengthwise, scrap out seeds and cut into 1/4 – 1/2 inch thick slices.
Don’t throw those seeds away! You can roast them for a delicious crunchy snack with this recipe for Roasted Pumpkin Seeds.
How To Roast Delicata Squash Fries
Roast your squash 1 of 2 ways:
- Oven: Place squash on an unlined baking sheet and and bake for 10 minutes at 500 degrees. Flip squash over and bake another 8 – 10 minutes, or until both sides are nicely browned (your oven may vary). Tip: I find my squash browns best without using a liner on the baking sheet.
- Broiler: This method is a little quicker but you’ll want to watch them so they don’t burn. Cook squash under the broiler for about 6 minutes. Flip and bake another 2 – 4 minutes, or until both sides are nicely browned. Once you flip is when you ned to keep an eye on them. This method may take 2 or 3 batches to complete depending on the size of your broiler.
And yes, just in case your wondering, you can eat the skin too!
How To Serve Squash Fries
Delicata squash fries can be served alone, as a mono meal or snack. They go great with a sandwich, veggie burger or maybe a simple tomato soup. You may even find me topping them on a bed of quinoa, adding a drizzle of sriracha over top. :)
I have my roasted squash fries simply salted and served with the ever wonderful and highly addicting sriracha. If you don’t like heat you can just as well serve this with any kind of ketchup, especially a curry ketchup! You may also opt to try it with this creamy Aioli or Cashew Sriracha Cream Sauce. The simple flavor of the squash pairs well with a robust flavored condiment.
More Recipes You’ll Love
For a change of pace, try these other delicious snack recipes:
If you try this delicata squash fries recipe, please let me know! Leave a comment and rate it below. I love to hear what you think, or any changes you make.Print
ROASTED DELICATA SQUASH FRIES
The simple flavor of delicata squash pairs well with a robust flavored condiment. These delicata squash fries can be served alone, as a mono meal, or as a snack.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Snack
- Cuisine: Vegan
- 1 medium sized delicata squash
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- pinch mineral salt
Wash and dry your squash. Trim ends off. Cut squash in half lengthwise, scrap out seeds and cut into 1/4 – 1/2 inch thick slices.
Roast your squash 1 of 2 ways:
- Oven: Preheat oven to 500 degrees f. . Place squash on baking sheet, or two if needed, and use just enough oil to lightly coat squash on both sides. Spread squash in an even layer so as to not touch. Sprinkle with mineral salt. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven, using tongs or spatula flip squash over and bake another 8 – 10 minutes, or until both sides are nicely browned (your oven may vary).
- Broiler: Set broiler to medium. Place squash on a baking sheet, use just enough oil to lightly coat squash on both sides. Spread squash in an even layer so as to not touch. Sprinkle with mineral salt. Place under broiler and cook for about 6 minutes. Flip squash over using tongs or spatula, bake another 2 – 4 minutes, or until both sides are nicely browned. Once you flip be sure to keep an eye on them so they don’t burn and overcook. (This method may take 2 or 3 batches to complete depending on the size of your broiler)
Serve with sriracha. Feel free to use any condiment you like.
These won’t be crispy but they will be delicious!
RECOMMENDED EQUIPMENT: For roasting the squash fries I lightly oil my favorite half sheet sized rimmed baking sheet (affiliate link).
Updated: Delicata Squash Fries originally published October 2013 and has been updated November 2019 with new photos and helpful tips. Recipe is still as good as ever, enjoy!