A very simple dairy-free lasagna with cashew ricotta, protein rich lentils and fresh asparagus for an easy comforting vegan meal the whole family will love!
If you love a good lasagna than you’ll love this simple vegan lasagna with asparagus!
It reminds of the lasagna I grew up with, not with the asparagus (that’s a new twist), but the cashew ricotta cheese is just as amazing and has that same texture and taste as traditional ricotta!
I just love a good find, especially when it’s one of those comfort foods I love so much every now and then. This is an outstanding replication and also passed the picky eater test – my daughter has approved it!
This is another super easy meal to put together, nothing complicated here. Feel free to add whatever veggies you like to this. And I love the addition of lentils or beans, adding a good dose of protein!
This will be a family favorite for sure!
Lasagna with Asparagus Ingredients
Here you’ll find the ingredients to make lasagna with asparagus, plus tips and substitution ideas.
- Noodles: I used whole grain lasagna noodles, use your favorite. Boil or no boil noodles both work. To make this gluten free, use GF lasagna noodles.
- Protein: This time around I used prepared cooked lentils, the one’s from Trader Joe’s are flavorful and delicious! It was suggested in the comments and she was right, so I’ve added them to the recipe. The first time I used black beans, which was great too, but I like that the lentils are smaller and go a little better with the asparagus.
- Cheese: This homemade vegan Cashew ‘Ricotta’ Cheese is absolutely delicious. If allergic to nuts, this Tofu Ricotta is fabulous as well!
- Sauce: Make your own homemade Marinara Sauce, or use your favorite sauce.
- Asparagus: When in season, asparagus is inexpensive and at its peak flavor! No subs here, and no canned asparagus allowed! :)
How To Make Vegan Lasagna & Asparagus
- Cook pasta. Cook the pasta according to package instructions, set aside.
- Make cashew ricotta. While the waters heating up, make the cashew ricotta cheese, if you haven’t already. This will only take you 8 minutes or so, using the quick soak method for the cashews.
- Layer. Add ½ cup of the pasta sauce to the bottom of a 8 x 11 baking dish. spread around the bottom. Lay 3 lasagna noodles length wise over top the sauce, add ½ of the ricotta cheese, add half of the lentils, top with 3 lasagna noodles, and repeat until you’ve topped the last 3 noodles with sauce.
- Add asparagus. Add the asparagus spears width wise in a single layer. Drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
- Bake. Place lasagna in a preheated, 350 degrees, oven, uncovered, for 20 – 25 minutes.
- Lasagna with asparagus is great served with a sprinkle of Almond Parmesan.
- Serve with a chunk of homemade Artisan Bread or bread sticks for swiping up the sauce.
- And if you like a salad on the side, this Vegan Caesar Salad or Heirloom Tomato & Endive Salad would be delicious!
- Serve with Vegan Minestrone Soup.
Want to Prep Ahead & Freeze?
Lasagna and asparagus is a great freezer meal! You can freeze it either before OR after baking. I typically freeze the lasagna after its assembled (but without the asparagus), but before baking (just my preference, because then it’s only baked once). When ready, add the asparagus and bake the lasagne from frozen as per the instructions above.
More Vegan Comfort Food Recipes
- The Ultimate Vegan Vegetable Lasagna
- Spinach and Ricotta Vegan Stuffed Shells
- Eggplant Puttanesca
- See all vegan Italian recipes
- Or maybe you’d like these other asparagus recipes
If you try this simple lasagna recipe, please let me know! Leave a comment and rate it below. I love to hear what you think, or any changes you make.Print
SIMPLE LASAGNA & ASPARAGUS
A simple vegan lasagna with asparagus, lentils and a cashew ricotta cheese. Well balanced and ready in 1 hour!
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 35 min
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: Serves 8 1x
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: Vegan
Cashew Ricotta: Make your cashew cheese ahead of time and keep in the fridge. If you’re in a pinch you could just as easily prepare it while the noodles are cooking.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Noodles: Cook your noodles, al dente, and set aside.
Layer: In the bottom of an 8×11 baking dish, add ½ cup of pasta sauce, then 3 noodles, ½ of the ricotta cheese, ½ of the lentils, and repeat with the noodles, sauce, cheese, beans, noodles, and sauce.
Top with asparagus, coating them lightly with some extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Top with a few twists of sea salt and cracked pepper.
Bake for 20 – 25 minutes, until asparagus is slightly tender.
Serve with artisan bread on the side to wipe up any remaining sauce.
Store: If you manage to have any leftovers, store in airtight container in refrigerator for up to 5 – 6 days.
Updated: Simple Lasagna & Asparagus was first published in October 2012 and updated in April 2019 with new photos and helpful tips. The only change made to the recipe was to use lentils instead of black beans, which is still an option.