If you love lasagna than you’ll love this simple vegan lasagna. It tastes just like the lasagna I grew up with, not with the asparagus (that’s a new twist) but the cashew ricotta cheese is just as amazing as the the days of old. I can’t believe it’s made from cashews and has that same texture and taste as traditional ricotta!
I just love a good find, especially when it’s one of those comfort foods I love so much every now and then. This is an outstanding replication and also passed the picky eater test – my daughter has approved it!
This is another super easy meal to put together, nothing complicated here. Add whatever veggies you like to this. I pretty much stayed in line with the original recipe and it was nothing short of fantastic. And I love the bean idea, it adds a good dose of protein.
This will be a family favorite for sure!
Vegan Lasagna Ingredients
Noodles: I used whole grain lasagna noodles here for my vegan lasagna, but you can use your favorite, boil or no boil noodles. To make this gluten free, simply use gluten free lasagna noodles.
Protein: This time around I used prepared cooked lentils, the one’s from Trader Joe’s are flavorful and delicious! It was suggested in the comments and she was right, so I’ve added them to the recipe. The first time I used black beans, which was great too, but I like that the lentils are smaller and go a little better with the asparagus.
Cheese: This homemade vegan Cashew ‘Ricotta’ Cheese is absolutely delicious and a perfect ricotta for this vegan lasagna recipe. I’m telling you no will ever know it’s completely dairy free and made from plants. It takes no more than 10 minutes to make and can be made while the noodles are boiling. You can also make it ahead of time, so it’s ready when you are.
Sauce: I used my favorite Muir Glen Roasted Garlic pasta sauce for mine. I love that it’s sugar free, as I find some pasta sauces are too sweet. Use your absolute favorite sauce and you’ll no doubt have a fantastic vegan lasagna!
Asparagus: When in season, asparagus is inexpensive and so delicious! No subs here, and no canned asparagus allowed! :)
How To Make Simple Vegan Lasagna
- Start by boiling the water, and cooking the pasta according to package instructions.
- While the waters heating up, make the cashew ricotta cheese, if you haven’t already. This will only take you 8 minutes or so, using the quick soak method for the cashews.
- Add 1/2 cup of the pasta sauce to the bottom of a 8 x 11 baking dish. spread around the bottom. Lay 3 lasagna noodles length wise over top the sauce, add 1/2 of the ricotta cheese, add half of the lentils, top with 3 lasagna noodles, and repeat until you’ve topped the last 3 noodles with sauce. Add the asparagus spears width wise in a single layer. Drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
- Bake in a preheated, 350 degrees, oven, uncovered, for 20 – 25 minutes.
Want to Prep Ahead? This is a great freezer meal! You can freeze it either before OR after baking. I typically freeze the lasagna after its assembled, but before baking (just my preference, because then it’s only baked once). Be sure to thaw the lasagna in the refrigerator overnight before baking. Then bake as per the instructions above.
More Comfort Food Recipes
- The Ultimate Vegan Vegetable Lasagna
- Spinach and Ricotta Vegan Stuffed Shells
- Eggplant Puttanesca
- See all vegan Italian recipes
- Or maybe you’d like these other asparagus recipes
If you try this simple lasagna recipe, please let me know! Leave a comment and rate it below. I love to hear what you think, or any changes you make.
SIMPLE LASAGNA & ASPARAGUS
A simple lasagna with asparagus, lentils and a cashew ricotta cheese. Well balanced and ready in 1 hour!
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 35 min
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: Serves 8
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: Vegan
- 1 jar (28 oz) organic pasta sauce (I used a roasted garlic)
- 3/4 – 1 cup cooked lentils or 1 can (15 oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 recipe cashew ricotta cheese (about 2 cups)
- 1 lb. asparagus, ends trimmed
- 12 whole-grain lasagna noodles
Cashew Ricotta: Make your cashew cheese ahead of time and keep in the fridge. If you’re in a pinch you could just as easily prepare it while the noodles are cooking.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Noodles: Cook your noodles, al dente, and set aside.
Layer: In the bottom of an 8×11 baking dish, add 1/2 cup of pasta sauce, then 3 noodles, 1/2 of the ricotta cheese, 1/2 of the lentils, and repeat with the noodles, sauce, cheese, beans, noodles, and sauce.
Top with asparagus, coating them lightly with some extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Top with a few twists of sea salt and cracked pepper.
Bake for 20 – 25 minutes, until asparagus is slightly tender.
Serve with artisan bread on the side to wipe up any remaining sauce.
Store: If you manage to have any leftovers, store in airtight container in refrigerator for up to 5 – 6 days.