The BEST Date Smoothie is an easy treat naturally sweetened with dates and banana, with a hint of vanilla for a healthy and delicious breakfast or snack!
Why We Love This Recipe!
Just look at all those beautiful speckles of blended dates!
Dates naturally sweeten smoothies with their vanilla-caramel flavor and make for a refined sugar-free treat that’s healthy and delicious!
Vanilla date smoothie is a perfect sweet treat any time of day! Whether for breakfast, snack or after the gym, it’s decadent and so easy to make!
After my workout today, I came home and made myself this date smoothie, and as always, it was a perfect sweet treat for a job well done!
Earlier this month, I picked up this big beautiful box of dates from my local farmers’ market. How could I resist?!
These are Medjool dates, the extra fancy ones, and they are the most tender, soft, sweet, and caramel flavored dates I’ve had in a long time.
If you have some dates and frozen bananas on hand, I suggest you treat yourself to a simple and wonderful smoothie!
Date Smoothie Ingredients
This date smoothie recipe requires only 5 simple ingredients!
- Unsweetened almond milk – You can use your favorite plant milk – cashew, oat, soy, coconut, etc.
- Frozen banana – adds creaminess and is good for gut health.
- Ice cubes – can be optional.
- Medjool dates – are best with they are fresh and soft.
- Vanilla extract – complements the dates and banana, adding a delicious layer of flavor.
How To Make Vanilla Date Smoothie
Making a date smoothie is as easy as 1 – 2 – 3!
- Combine the dates, banana, vanilla, ice cubes, and plant milk into a blender cup.
- Blend until smooth, about 1 – 2 minutes. Add a splash of extra almond milk as needed.
- Pour into serving glass and enjoy.
You may have visually small pieces of dates within the shake, and that’s ok. Even with those bits of date, I didn’t have much trouble using my straw, only having to clear the bottom of it maybe once or twice. Those little chunks are caramelly and delicious!
- Soft dates blend best in smoothies. To soften dates, soak them in the milk for 5 – 10 minutes to help soften them before blending. Alternatively, let them soak in warm water for a few minutes.
- Add cocoa powder. Turn your smoothie into chocolate goodness by adding 2 – 3 teaspoons of cocoa or cacao powder.
- Add protein powder. Bulk up the nutritional profile by adding a scoop of protein powder. Vanilla and chocolate-flavored would be terrific additions.
- Add a dollop of nut butter. You can opt to add a tablespoon or so of your favorite nut butter for extra creaminess and a healthy dose of protein. Those with nut allergies can use sunflower butter.
Yes, especially if they are fresh or softened before blending. It also helps to use a high-speed blender, but soft dates should blend well no matter the wattage of your blender.
If your dates are a little older or dried out, you can soften them before blending by adding the dates to the milk and let them soak for 5 – 10 minutes to soften (or soak them in warm water for a few minutes). This will help them blend better and make for soft bits of goodness.
More Healthy Smoothie Recipes!
Whether in a bowl or in a glass, you can never have too many smoothie recipes to try!
- Chocolate Almond Butter Smoothie Bowl
- Chocolate Cherry Smoothie
- Berry + Yogurt Smoothie
- Super Berry Acai Bowl
- Enlighten Smoothie Bowl
- Or see all vegan smoothie recipes on TSV!
If you try this date smoothie recipe or have a question, please let me know! Leave a comment and rate it below. I love to hear what you think, or any changes you make.Print
Vanilla Date Smoothie
Date smoothie is an easy, sweet treat naturally sweetened with vanilla and banana for a healthy and delicious breakfast or snack smoothie! Vegan + wfpb recipe.
- Prep Time: 5 min
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: Serves 1
- Category: Breakfast, Smoothie
- Method: blender
- Cuisine: Vegan
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (use your favorite non-dairy milk)
- 1 medium frozen banana
- 4 – 5 ice cubes (or another frozen banana)
- 2 – 3 medjool dates, pitted (soft and fresh is best)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder
- 1 tablespoon nut butter (peanut, almond, cashew, sunflower etc.)
- 2 – 3 teaspoons cacao or cocoa powder
Combine ingredients into a blender cup and blend until smooth, about 1 – 2 minutes, depending on your blender. Add a splash or two of extra almond milk as needed, especially if adding protein powder.
Use soft dates: If your dates are a little older or dried out, you can soften them before blending by adding the dates to the milk and let them soak for 5 – 10 minutes to soften. This will help your dates blend better and make for soft bits of goodness.
For the protein powder, I’ve been using the Garden of Life Raw Fit lately. I love the fact that Garden of Life has a few protein powders that don’t contain stevia. I prefer to sweeten my shakes/smoothies with fruits and personally don’t care for the stevia aftertaste. I’m not on a weight management program but do love the high protein amount in this powder. The Raw Fit contains 28 grams of protein, which is half my daily recommended amount. For me, one shake a day is a perfect treat! If using protein powder, you may like to add 1/4 – 1/2 cup more of milk or water.
Updated: Date Smoothie was originally published in June 2014. It has been retested and updated with new photos and helpful tips in March 2021.