Vegan Egg Salad is made with silken tofu, perfectly seasoned vegan mayo, mustard, and chives and served as a sandwich or wrap! It’s easily customizable, protein rich, and quick and easy to make.
Made with simple ingredients, this mock egg salad is so easy to put together and makes for a satisfying, comfort food sandwich!
It’s easily customizable, letting you get creative with additional mix-ins and seasonings. But as is, this recipe is a great base for all your tofu egg salad creations.
Now I’m not going to fool you into thinking this tastes just like egg salad, but it’s very close and great for those who are looking for a replacement of a classic egg salad.
For myself, I find tofu very much resembles the texture of egg whites, and just like egg white it has no flavor and will take on whatever flavors it’s mixed with.
I think once you give this tofu egg salad a try, you’re going to love it and see exactly what I mean. Just be sure to read the post to find out all the tips and tricks for making your very best vegan egg salad sandwich!
Ingredients You’ll Need
In this recipe, soft or silken tofu is cubed and gently folded with a seasoned mayo mixture then served on bread with leafy greens, or can even be made into lettuce wraps as a gluten free option.
Here is everything you will need, plus ingredient variations:
- Tofu – soft or silken is best
- Vegan mayo – use store bought or make homemade Vegan Mayo
- Dijon – feel free to use regular or whole grain in its place
- Celery salt – can be optional, but adds a lovely overall flavor
- Turmeric – adds a light golden hue, but can be left out for mock egg white salad)
- Salt – I recommend adding a pinch of black salt, aka Kala Namak (affiliate link), which adds a eggy, sulfur flavor
- Chives – can use green onions or leave them out all together
- Bread – fresh and soft bread is ideal
- Leafy greens – use your favorite or use cup lettuce for wraps
- Red onion + radishes – can be optional
How To Make Vegan Egg Salad
- Prep the tofu. Cut the tofu into ½ inch cubes. Gently pat dry between a clean dish towel or paper towels.
- Make the egg salad dressing. In a small bowl whisk together the mayo, dijon, celery seed, turmeric, and salt. To save from washing a dish, combine the dressing in the mixing bowl you be making the egg salad.
- Combine ingredients. In a medium mixing bowl, add the tofu and chives, and pour the dressing overtop (shown above left).
- Mix and mash. Gently fold to mix, and give a few mashes to break up some of the tofu cubes (above right).
And now you’re ready to use this delicious mock egg salad!
How To Store + Meal Prep
- Refrigerator: Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 – 6 days.
- Meal prep: It can easily be made ahead and prepped for to-go meals too using multi-use containers (affiliate link) or baggies.
It’s good to have a classic vegan ‘egg’ salad recipe up your sleeve and is perfect for a quick and easy lunch or dinner. Here are a few of my favorite serving options:
- Sandwich: To make tofu egg salad sandwiches, simply layer bread with leafy greens and ‘egg’ salad, with optional red onion and radishes, top with slice of bread, cut in half and enjoy!
- Wraps: To make mock egg salad wraps, scoop onto cup lettuce such as romaine, bibb, red or green leaf. You can also use large leaf kale, chard or collards, these will have a stronger bitter flavor.
- Crackers: Serve with a variety of crackers for scooping.
More Vegan Sandwich Recipes
- Mashed Chickpea Salad Sandwich (it’s a fan favorite)
- Hummus Veggie Sandwich
- Roasted Red Pepper, Hummus & Avocado Sandwich
- Grilled Peanut Butter & Apple Sandwich
- See all vegan Sandwich & Wrap recipes on TSV!
If you try this tofu egg salad sandwich recipe, please let me know! Leave a comment and rate it below. I love to hear what you think, or any changes you make. Cheers!Print
VEGAN EGG SALAD SANDWICH
Vegan Egg Salad Sandwich is made with simple ingredients and easy to put together, making the perfect, flavorful sandwich! You will want to make this recipe again and again!
- Prep Time: 5 min
- Total Time: 5 min
- Yield: Serves 3 1x
- Category: Entree
- Method: mix
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegan
- 1 tub (14-16oz) organic tofu (silken, soft or medium firm)
- ¼ cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1 heaping tablespoon Dijon mustard (whole grain or regular ok too)
- ½ teaspoon celery powder or ¼ cup fresh celery, diced, optional
- ½ teaspoon turmeric, optional for color
- generous pinch of salt (kala namak, smoked or regular mineral salt)
- pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped chives
- 6 slices of bread of choice
- leafy greens
- red onion, thinly sliced (optional)
- radishes, thinly sliced (optional)
Tofu: Cut tofu into about ½ inch cubes, lay in between a dish towel or paper towels to soak up excess moisture. Gently press, careful to not press too hard if using silken and soft tofu.
Assemble Salad: In the bottom of a medium sized mixing bowl, add the mayonnaise, dijon, optional celery powder and turmeric, salt and pepper, mix well to combine. Add tofu and chives, gently fold into the mayo mix until well coated. If you like, feel free to mash the vegan egg salad, or mash just ½ of it.
Serve: Serve on your favorite bread with leafy greens. Great with crackers too!
Store: Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Adjust ingredients to suit your taste. If you love mustard, feel free to add another tablespoon. If it at all seems bland, then a tad more salt is needed (eggs are typically salty).
- Briny foods like pickles or horseradish
- Celery, bell peppers or carrots for texture
- Herbs: fresh chopped basil, tarragon, dill, parsley
- Spices: garlic or onion powder, smoked paprika, cumin or cayenne (for heat)
Keywords: vegan egg salad, tofu egg salad