MEDITERRANEAN VEGGIE SANDWICH
The best Mediterranean Veggie Sandwich features roasted red peppers, cucumber, tomato, avocado, hummus and basil for a healthy, quick and easy vegan sandwich everyone will love!
Hello, foodie friends!
I’d like to introduce you to my new favorite sandwich – Mediterranean Veggie Sandwich featuring roasted red pepper, hummus and avocado, and it’s the bomb!
I’ve been putting together recipes specifically to go with the recently shared guide on How To Roast Bell Peppers. I have tons of roasted bell peppers stored away from putting the guide together.
Whether you’re roasting a large batch to store or just making a few to use right away, we’ll need a way to use them up.
If you haven’t already seen the first recipe, Pasta & Peas + Red Pepper Romesco, in the series, do be sure to check it out. It’s delicious!
And if you love mediterranean sandwiches, this Mediterranean Smashed Chickpea Salad Sandwich is amazing and can also be used to make lettuce wraps or scooped up with crackers.
Ingredients You’ll Need
The cast of characters for this easy recipe includes roasted bell peppers, crisp cucumbers, juicy tomato, and avocado all piled on your favorite bread and sliced in half for a healthy and delicious WFPB sandwich.
Here is everything you will need:
- Roasted red peppers
- Red onion
- Leafy greens
- Salt + pepper
There isn’t too much here to change up. Of course, you can omit anything you like. For the hummus, with so many different flavors out there these days, go bold with flavors or keep it simple with the classic.
How To Make Mediterranean Veggie Sandwich
- Spread your hummus on one slice and 1/2 smashed avocado on the other. The avocado can easily be mashed with the back of a fork right in its skin. Add sliced avocado if you prefer.
- Start layering the bottom slice with your leafy greens, tomato slices and cucumber.
- Next, add the red peppers, red onion and basil.
- Finish if off with a sprinkle of salt + pepper, and top with remaining slice of bread.
And now you’re ready to enjoy this flavorful sandwich!
How To Store + Meal Prep
- Refrigerator: Prepared sandwiches can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 1 – 2 days, but are best eaten within 24 hours.
- Meal prep: When meal prepping, the sandwiches can be made the night before or the day of, and then stored in multi-use containers (affiliate link) or bento boxes.
This savory sandwich is great on its own, but can be made even heartier with any of these serving options:
- Soup: Serve with a side of soup like this Roasted Butternut Squash Soup or Vegan Cauliflower Soup.
- Salad: Pair with a salad on the side like this Classic House Salad or Radish + Cucumber Salad.
- Pasta salad: Serve with Mediterranean Orzo Salad or Greek Pasta Salad.
- Veggie sticks and dips: Pair with fresh veggie sticks and Vegan Ranch Dressing, Simple White Bean Hummus or Creamy Ranch Hemp Dressing.
More Easy Sandwich Recipes
- Grilled Hummus, Tomato and Arugula Sandwich with Sauteed Onions
- Favorite Veggie Hummus Sandwich
- Mashed Chickpea Salad Sandwich
- ‘Chickpea Of The Sea’ Tuna Salad Sandwich
- See all vegan sandwich recipes recipes on TSV!
If you try this roasted red pepper sandwich recipe, please let me know! Leave a comment and rate it below. I love to hear what you think, or any changes you make.Print
MEDITERRANEAN VEGGIE SANDWICH
What to do with roasted bell peppers? Added warm or at room temperature, they make great additions to this healthy and delicious Mediterranean Veggie Sandwich!
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Total Time: 15 min
- Yield: Serves 2
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
- Diet: Vegan
- 4 slices of bread (toasted or not), use your favorite
- 1/4 – 1/3 cup hummus (regular, sun-dried tomato or roasted red pepper works too)
- 1 avocado, mashed or sliced
- leafy greens of choice
- 1 tomato, thinly sliced
- 1 cucumber, thinly sliced lengthwise and cut to width of bread
- 2 roasted red bell peppers, make your own or purchase in jars
- 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
- 6 – 8 fresh basil leaves
- salt + pepper, to taste
How to roast red peppers: Preheat oven to 475 degrees F. Cut peppers in half, remove stems and seeds, place baking sheet lined with a Silpat or parchment paper cut side down. Roast on middle rack for 40 minutes, rotating baking sheet 180 degrees after 20 minutes. Peppers are ready when blackened and blistered. Using tongs place hot peppers in a bowl and cover with a large plate, let steam for 30 minutes. Once cooled, peel skin away from bottom to top. Discard peels. Peppers are now ready to be used. For more detailed instructions (with pictures) see my guide, How To Roast Bell Peppers, for different methods of roasting and storing peppers.
Prep: Gather your ingredients and prepare the veggies, make everything handy.
Bread: Just before assembling your sandwiches, get your bread ready, if toasting go ahead and do so.
Assemble: Spread hummus on one slice of bread. Take the back of a fork and mash 1/2 avocado in its skin. Spread avocado on the other slice. Layer with the leafy greens, tomato, cucumber, red bell pepper, onion, basil and a sprinkle of mineral salt & fresh cracked pepper.
Slice in half and enjoy!
Makes 2 sandwiches
Store: Sandwiches can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 1 – 2 days. These are best eaten within 24 hours.
Make this gluten-free by using gluten-free bread.
Nutritional values are estimates only. See our full nutrition disclosure here.
Updated: Mediterranean Veggie Sandwich was originally published in July 2016. It has been retested and updated with new photos and helpful tips in July 2020. The only changes made was to change the name, the old title was Roasted Red Pepper, Hummus + Avocado Sandwich.
FOLLOW TSV on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest or RSS for more updates and inspiration!
Love it!! Great recipe that I will making many times in the future.
Made this last night. Wasn’t sure how the hummus (I made a pimento hummus) and the avocado spread were going to mix but ….WOW…it was REALLY good! Thank you so much! I also posted this on my FB site ‘Super Quick Plant-Based Recipes.’ I think everyone where will LOVE this recipe AND your site. If you have any other recipes that take less than 20 minutes to make, feel free to shoot me an email and I’ll be happy to feature your site again!
I’ve been eating this hummus, red and green pepper with onion sandwich for breakfast. So delicious and filling with fruit on the side.
Amazing recipe. Thanks for sharing such an awesome recipe.
There is nothing like roasted peppers.
Just windering how this sandwich would hold for work and does it go sovgy if not eaten assp?
Sorry, please excuse my typos.
I think it would be just fine, just be sure to pat the peppers dry before assembling the sandwich. Enjoy!
Obviously still not actually joining the pepper train, but loved this post nevertheless and am so happy you’re continuing on in the spirit of the series. Now let’s just hope I get roasted red pepper crazy some day, so that I can put all those skills and ideas to good use :P
Have a lovely day and enjoy the rest of the week xx
When I received this in my email I was amused. I hiked a mountain thus weekend and this was essentially the sandwich I brought with me. It was fantastic.
I had no roasted red pepper, so I’ll definitely have to add that.
love your recipes, like to try all of them,but can’t.keep up the good work.Thanks.
This looks so good! :)