Homemade Vegan French Onion Dip made with caramelized onions, non-dairy sour cream and spices makes for a crowd-pleasing onion dip recipe that everyone will love!
Why We Love This Onion Dip Recipe!
Crowd pleasing appetizer. Serve as a platter centerpiece for your next party, potluck, or family/friends get together. Scoop up this vegan onion dip with chips, crackers and/or fresh sliced veggies! This recipe is enough for a small group (6 -8), so double if you’re entertaining a crowd.
Make in advance. It’s super simple to make and can easily be made a day or two ahead. See below for more about storing.
Healthy and delicious. This creamy onion dip is 100% dairy free and includes an option to make it oil-free. And you won’t miss a thing because it’s full of flavor without these missing ingredients!
Here is everything you will need, including tips for your best onion dip! Measurements can be found in the recipe card below.
- Sour cream – I used my homemade cashew based Vegan Sour Cream here, but store bought is great too so your favorite. For a mellow sour cream, I recommend Tofutti. And if you prefer tangy then Kite Hill is for you.
- Onion – Stick with using only yellow onions, staying away from sweet varieties. Caramelizing onions will sweeten them, so you want one that isn’t sweet to start or it will be too much.
- Worcestershire sauce – If you don’t have vegan worcestershire on hand, try a little tamari, soy sauce or coconut aminos. You’ll definitely want to add one of these ingredients as it adds a wonderful umami flavor, pairing well with the sweet, caramelized onions!
- Onion + garlic powder – Add for a boost of flavor, feel free to adjust to taste.
- Salt – Will enhance all the flavors!
- Parsley – A sprinkle at serving will add a pop of color and herbaceousness.
How To Make Vegan French Onion Dip
Caramelize the onion: It all starts with the onions! Grab yourself a medium – large yellow onion and dice it up well. Heat a little oil/water in a non-stick skillet, add onions and saute for 30 minutes, stirring every 5 – 10 minutes. After every 10 minutes or so, add a little water or oil to keep the onions from crisping up too much on the edges. Let the liquid sizzle and evaporate completely before adding more. Once done, the onions will be golden, slightly sweet and smell divine!
Gather the remaining ingredients – plant-based sour cream, vegan worcestershire sauce, garlic & onion powder, and salt.
Now you’re ready to assemble the dip, combine the caramelized onions together with the vegan sour cream, worcestershire, spices, and mix well. Taste for flavor, adding extra sauce or spices as needed. Serve right away or store in the refrigerator for an hour to chill.
And that’s it my friends, the best vegan French Onion Dip ever – it’s healthy, guilt-free and of course delicious!
What To Serve With French Onion Dip
Chips + Crackers: When ready to serve, pair your vegan French onion dip with chips – I love the thick waffle kettle potato chips since they can handle thick dips, but regular chips are great too. Even tortilla chips, multi-grain crackers, pita chips, veggie chips, bagel chips, or pretzel crisps will work.
Fresh Veggie Sticks: For a fresh take, serve with fresh sliced veggie sticks such as carrots, celery, red bell pepper, and cucumber. And if you want to cover all your bases, have a mix of chips and fresh veggies!
How To Store Leftovers
Store leftover onion dip in the refrigerator for up to 6 days. Keep stored in a covered container. As mentioned above, this easy vegan dip can conveniently be made a day or two in advance, and is ready to serve when you are.
More Appetizer & Snack Inspiration
- Spinach Artichoke White Bean Dip
- Vegan 7 Layer Fiesta Bean Dip
- Healthy Texas Caviar
- Simple White Bean Hummus
- Vegan Spinach Artichoke Dip
- See all Appetizer & Snack recipes on TSV!
If you try this easy dip recipe or have a question, please let me know! Leave a comment and rate it below. I love to hear what you think, or any changes you make.Print
VEGAN FRENCH ONION DIP
This Vegan French Onion Dip is loaded with flavorful pieces of caramelized onion in a non-dairy sour cream. Great served with chips, crackers or fresh veggies!
- Prep Time: 5 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: Makes about 1 ¾ cups, serves 8 1x
- Category: Appetizer, Condiment, Dip
- Method: saute, mix
- Cuisine: Vegan
Onions: Heat the oil/water in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and saute for 10-15 minutes, stirring every few minutes. Add a little bit of water/veggie broth and let it sizzle and evaporate. Keep stirring every so often, add more liquids. After about 25 – 30 minutes, onions should be caramelized and fragrant.
Mix: Add the onions, garlic & onion powder, and worcestershire, mix well to combine. Taste for seasoning.
Serve: Serve topped with chopped parsley. Pair your french onion dip with chips, crackers, and/or sliced vegetables.
Makes about 1 ¾ cups.
Store leftovers, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 6 days.