VEGAN 7 LAYER DIP
Vegan 7 Layer Dip with cumin spiced refried beans, guacamole, vegan sour cream, salsa, corn, and olives is healthy, easy to make, and a crowd-pleasing favorite! Gluten Free + WFPB recipe.
Make this Mexican vegan 7 Layer Dip the centerpiece for everyone to gather around. Perfect for sporting events, movie night or casual entertaining, this healthy dip is delicious!
It starts with cumin spiced refried beans, then layered with guacamole, sour cream, salsa, veggies, and olives. Scoop it all up with your favorite tortilla chips. It’s a filling and delicious snack for all to enjoy!
After googling a bit and pulling ideas together, this recipe from Simply Recipes stood out calling for a little water mixed with the refried beans to make them creamier and easy to scoop. Once giving it a try, I was sold and the rest came together easily!
For more vegan dips, be sure to check out this Vegan Queso Dip, Spinach Artichoke Dip, or Vegan French Onion Dip.
This recipe is super easy to put together using refried beans, guacamole, vegan sour cream, salsa and a variety of toppings for a quick and easy dip everyone will love.
Here is everything you will need, plus ingredient variation as noted:
- Beans: Use canned refried beans or make homemade Instant Pot Refried Beans or Quick + Easy Refried Beans. No need to flavor these homemade beans as they are full of delicious flavor!
- Vegan Sour Cream: Make homemade Cashew Sour Cream or Vegan Queso, but store bought is great too for ease. It’s delicious when mixed with everything!
- Salsa: For the tomato layer, I used a bottled salsa, but homemade pico de gallo would work well too.
- Avocado: The recipe calls for mashing your own with lime, but store bought guacamole can be used for convenience.
- Veggies: I’ve added a layer of mixed veggies, including corn and diced tomatoes. You can also sub the tomatoes with diced red bell pepper.
- Olives: Top it off with black or green olives for added texture and salty flavor.
- Green onions and cilantro: Add a little green on top with sliced scallions and chopped cilantro.
How To Make Vegan Seven Layer Dip
(Note – The full printable recipe is at the bottom of this post)
- Beans: In a small bowl, add refried beans and mash well, add cumin, chipotle powder and 1/4 cup of water, mix well to combine. The water will help make the beans creamy so they aren’t too thick for dipping, add a little extra water as needed. If you prefer, heat the bean mixture over low until warmed through before assembly.
- Guacamole: To make simple guacamole, slice the avocado lengthwise, twist the two halves to open, and remove the seed. Scoop out the flesh with a spoon (or squeeze the skin to release the flesh) and place in a medium bowl. Add the juice of 1 lime and salt, mash well and season to taste with salt.
- Layer: To layer this vegan 7 layer dip, start with the refried beans, then layer with the guacamole, sour cream and salsa. Lastly, add the tomatoes, corn, green onions, olives and top with cilantro.
Let this be a template, you can change it up to suit your personal taste. I hope you enjoy this seven layer bean dip as much as we do!
- Warm the beans. The refried beans can be served at room temp or warmed over low heat before layering if you prefer. They are great warmed!
- Top with cheese. Add a sprinkle of vegan cheese overtop at the end for variation.
- Use a shallow dish. For the pictures I used 6 1/2 x 3 inch round glass dish so you can see the layers, but I recommend something a little larger and shallower for easy dipping and getting each layer when scooping.
- Adjust to taste. Use more or less of any ingredient, making it to suit your taste.
How To Store
- Refrigerator: Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for 2 – 3 days, covered.
- Freezer: Although you can freeze seven layer dip, I don’t recommend it. This dip is best eaten fresh or within a day or two.
- Make ahead: You can safely make this 7 layer dip up to 24 hours in advance. Keep stored in the refrigerator until ready. You may even like to leave it on the counter, covered, for a few hours to allow it to come to room temperature.
Seven layer dip can be served chilled or at room temperature with your favorite tortilla chips. Or as mentioned above, the beans can be heated for a warm bottom layer.
More Vegan Dip Recipes
- Vegan Onion Dip
- Vegan Spinach Artichoke White Bean Dip
- Favorite Hummus Recipe
- Texas Caviar
- Fresh Mango Salsa
- See all Vegan Appetizer & Snack Recipes on TSV!
If you try this easy dip recipe, please let me know! Leave a comment and rate it below. I love to hear what you think, or any changes you make.Print
VEGAN 7 LAYER DIP
Mexican vegan 7 Layer Dip is a quick and easy centerpiece everyone will want to gather around! Served with your favorite tortilla chips, it’s perfect for sporting events, movie night or casual entertaining!
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 5 min
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: Serves 8
- Category: Snack, Appetizer
- Cuisine: Mexican, Tex-Mex
- Diet: Vegan
- 1 can (14 oz.) vegetarian black or pinto refried beans
- 1/2 – 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder, optional
- 2 – 4 tablespoons water
- 2 avocados (or 1 cup store bought guacamole)
- 1 large lime
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1 cup Vegan Cashew Sour Cream or Vegan Queso)
- 1 cup chunky salsa (or Pico de Gallo)
- 1/2 cup sweet corn
- 1/2 cup roma tomatoes, diced and seeds removed (or red bell pepper)
- 1/4 cup black olives, sliced
- 1 – 2 green onions, sliced
- fresh chopped cilantro, optional
- 1 bag tortilla chips, for serving
Beans: In a small mixing bowl, add refried beans and mash well, add cumin, chipotle powder and 1/4 cup of water, mix well to combine. The water will help make the beans creamy so they aren’t too thick for dipping, add a little extra water as needed. If you prefer, heat the bean mixture over low until warmed through before assembly.
Guacamole: To make this simple guacamole, slice avocado lengthwise, twist the two halves to open, and remove the seed. Squeeze out the flesh (or scoop it out with a spoon) and place in a medium bowl with the juice of 1 lime and salt. Mash well, and season to taste with salt.
Assemble: To layer the bean dip, using a shallow dish of choice (pie dish, baking dish, or bowl), start with a layer of beans, spreading to the edges. Next, repeat with a layer of guacamole, sour cream, and salsa. Next, add the corn, tomatoes, green onion, and olives. Top with cilantro.
Serve: Pair with your favorite tortilla chips.
Serves 8 – 10
Store: Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for 2 – 3 days in a covered container.
Make homemade Instant Pot Refried Beans or these Slow Cooker Refried Beans to use in place of canned. No need to flavor these homemade beans as they are full of delicious flavor!
Add a light layer of shredded lettuce for added freshness.
Recipe has been changed, you find the original recipe at: 7 Layer Dip
Nutritional values are estimates only. See our full nutrition disclosure here.
Updated: Vegan Seven Layer Dip was originally published in October 2016. It has been retested and updated with new photos and helpful tips in September 2020. Recipe has been changed, you find the old version at: 7 Layer Dip
FOLLOW TSV on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest or RSS for more updates and inspiration!
Definitely will have to try this out sometime !! !!
This was so delicious, the whole family loved it and there was nothing left! Thank you for the quick and easy recipe!