Vegan Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins are a healthy fan-favorite recipe that’s easy to make with just 8 simple ingredients and bakes up moist, tender, and delicious!
Today is a muffin day, a healthy banana chocolate chip muffin day! So, with a few bananas on hand, ripe as can be, I decided to put them into these kid-friendly vegan muffins.
I wanted to make them banana nut muffins, but since my daughter doesn’t care for nuts, I went ahead and added chocolate chips instead.
Those are much better, in her opinion, and I’m sure many of you will agree. Who doesn’t like a little chocolate in their banana muffins!
Why We Love This Recipe!
Healthy. This muffin recipe is based on my dairy and egg-free Vegan Banana Bread. I cut the oil a bit, only using ¼ cup, making them a little healthier. They came out perfectly soft and fluffy, and the gooey chocolate chips are a welcome addition.
Quick + easy to make. These muffins are super simple and ready in a cinch using overripe bananas and a few pantry ingredients.
Great for snacking. These vegan muffins are great for breakfast or a healthy snack throughout the day. They get eaten up quickly around our home, and I’m sure you will love them too!
How To Make Vegan Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
Here is a quick overview of the process with photos for reference:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium/large mixing bowl.
- In another bowl, combine the oil, vanilla, and sugar. Mash the bananas.
- Grab your chocolate chips, they will be warm and gooey soon!
- Add the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients. Fold in the chocolate chips, careful not to over mix.
- Scoop the batter and place it in lined muffin tins (shown above). Add a few extra chocolate chips on top if you like.
- Bake until golden, about 20 – 25 minutes (shown above), while enjoying how delicious your home is starting to smell!
- Let cool a few minutes and eat them up, YUM!!
Tips For Success!
- Spoon instead of scoop the flour. When measuring the flour, don’t scoop it out of the container with the measuring cup. Instead, spoon it into your measuring cup, leveling it off with the back of a knife.
- Don’t overmix the batter. Instead, stir just until combined and no more for the most tender muffins.
- Oil-Free. To make these muffins oil-free, use unsweetened applesauce instead.
- Add extra flavor. For variation, try adding 1 tsp of cinnamon to the dry ingredients for even more flavor.
- Use correct oven rack position. Baking the muffins on the center rack will ensure even cooking throughout.
- To test for doneness, insert a wooden toothpick into the center of one of the muffins. The toothpick should come out clean or with a few moist crumbs clinging to it.
How To Store Banana Muffins
- Counter: Once completely cooled, store muffins in an airtight container lined with a paper towel on the counter for up to 3 – 4 days. The paper towel will soak up moisture and keep them from getting too moist.
- Refrigerator: Muffins will keep for up to a week in the refrigerator, in a covered container.
- Freezer: These banana muffins freeze well and will stay fresh for 2 months in freezer safe containers or baggies.
More Healthy Muffin Recipes!
- Vegan Blueberry Muffins
- Apple-Cinnamon Muffins (GF, made with almond flour)
- Pumpkin Oat Muffins + Crumbly Topping
- Vegan Cranberry Orange Muffins
- Vegan Pumpkin Muffins
If you try this healthy banana muffin recipe, please let me know! Leave a comment and rate it below. I love to hear what you think, or any changes you make.Print
Vegan Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins (Healthy)
Made with lots of love and a sprinkle of chocolate chips, these vegan chocolate chip banana muffins are a perfect way to start the morning or enjoy as a mid-day snack!
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: Makes 10 – 12 muffins 1x
- Category: Breakfast, Bread
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Vegan, American
- 1 ¾ cups spelt flour, or flour of choice
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup light flavored olive oil or warmed coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup organic sugar (pure cane or coconut sugar)
- 4 small or 3 large bananas (preferably overripe), mashed
- ¼ cup or so chocolate chips (I used Enjoy Life Mini)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Dry ingredients: Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium/large size bowl and set aside.
Wet ingredients: In a small bowl, mix oil, sugar and vanilla.
Banana: Mash bananas, you should have approx. 1 ½ – 1 ¾ cups.
Combine: Add the wet ingredients and bananas to batter and mix until just combined. If mixture seems too dry, add a bit of non-dairy milk, maybe ¼ – ½ cup at most (I’ve never had to add any).
Chocolate: Add in chocolate chips and mix briefly.
Fill muffin tin: Spoon into a well-greased or paper-lined muffin tin, fill each muffin about ⅔ – ¾ full.
Bake: Place in the oven, on the center rack, and bake for about 20 – 25 minutes. You can also do the toothpick test in the center of one muffin, if it comes out clean it’s ready.
Remove from oven and let cool for 10 min.
Makes about 12 muffins.
Store: Once completely cooled, store muffins in an airtight container lined with a paper towel on the counter for up to 3 – 4 days. The paper towel will soak up moisture and keep them from getting too moist. Or store in the refrigerator for up to a week.
To make gluten free, use gluten free all purpose flour or gluten free flour of choice.
If using coconut oil, be sure it’s warmed and creamy or in its liquid state.
Add 1 teaspoon of cinnamon to the batch for a different flavor.
I’ve made these using just the 2 teaspoons of baking powder with great results. If you don’t have baking soda on hand, you can omit it.
Spelt flour is my favorite flour and I use it exclusively for my baking projects! If you are mildly gluten intolerant you may be able to use gluten flour without any adverse effects. It is unlike most of the wheat flour of today as it is not hybridized. Here is more info on the nutritional aspect of spelt flour – Spelt flour benefits – if you’re not familiar with it.
Keywords: vegan banana chocolate chip muffins, healthy muffins