Fresh Hemp Smoothie features spinach, banana, and orange blended with your choice of hulled hemp seed (aka hemp hearts) or hemp protein powder for a delicious and refreshing breakfast or snack!
This Green Hemp Smoothie is my new absolute favorite smoothie of late!
Every time I make it, I feel amazingly revitalized, alive, and it seriously makes me feel as good as it tastes!
With mandarin oranges in season, I couldn’t resist adding them! And they are perfect in this smoothie with spinach, banana, and hemp protein.
With only 4 ingredients (plus water), it’s a perfect combination of freshness that will leave you craving more!
Why We Love Hemp Protein!
Before we get to the smoothie, I want to share a bit about hemp seeds and their nutritional benefits.
Whether using hemp hearts or protein powder, hemp seeds are amazingly healthy and a great protein source for those living a plant-based lifestyle!
- Hemp seeds are a complete protein containing all of the essential amino acids.
- Unlike soy protein, hemp protein is readily digestible.
- It’s has a perfect Omega-6 to Omega-3 ratio. Part of that Omega-6 is the highly sought-after fatty acid, GLA (gamma-linolenic acid). GLA fights inflammation and Platelet-stickiness. Also, women can take it for PMS.
- It’s a healthy gluten-free, grain-free, whole food plant-based ingredient.
- Please find out more about how wonderful they are from Medical News Today: Health Benefits of Hemp Seeds
Hemp Seed FAQs
Yes, hemp seeds can be added to your smoothie with everything else and will blend in so you won’t notice them at all, but you will benefit from all the healthy nutrients.
For optimal nutrition, use 2 tablespoons of hulled hemp seeds for each 12-ounce smoothie or ¼ cup of hemp protein powder.
How To Make Hemp Smoothie
It all starts with great ingredients!
- Banana – Adds creaminess and good for gut health, use fresh or frozen.
- Orange – Full of vitamin C, includes fresh mandarins, cuties, or regular varieties. Can sub with ½ – ¾ cup of other fruits such as berries.
- Spinach – Rich in vitamins, use fresh organic or baby spinach.
- Hemp protein powder or hemp hearts – Both can be interchanged as noted in the recipe card (powder form with have less fat).
- Purified water – Can sub with non-dairy milk as well.
- Ice cubes – Can be optional.
Now, put it all together. Here is a quick overview with photos because I enjoy before and after pictures. :)
- Place the peeled banana, mandarins, spinach, hemp protein powder or seeds, water, and ice cubes into the blender cup and blend until smooth.
It’s ready in minutes and makes 1 serving!
- Using a frozen banana? If using frozen bananas, you can eliminate the ice cubes and add ¼ – ½ cup more water as needed.
- Switch up the greens. Try baby kale in place of the spinach. I’ve also run out of greens and used microgreens. Or omit the greens and add a little extra hemp seed protein or hearts.
More Healthy Smoothie Recipes!
- Chocolate Cherry Smoothie
- Vanilla Date Smoothie
- Blueberry Banana Smoothie
- See all vegan smoothie recipes on TSV!
If you try this hemp protein recipe, please let me know! Leave a comment and rate it below. I love to hear what you think, or any changes you make.Print
Fresh Green Hemp Smoothie
Fresh and revitalizing, this Green Hemp Smoothie uses hemp protein powder or hulled hemp seeds for a healthy and delicious smoothie recipe!
- Prep Time: 5 min
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: Serves 1 1x
- Category: Beverage, Smoothie
- Method: blender
- Cuisine: Vegan
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 good size mandarin or 2 small cuties (or ½ – ¾ cup fresh berries)
- handful spinach
- 2 tablespoons hemp hearts (hulled hemp seeds) or 3 Tbsp hemp protein powder
- ½ cup purified water + more as needed
- 4 ice cubes
Place peeled banana, mandarins, spinach, hemp protein, water, and ice cubes into the blender cup and process until blended and smooth, about 1 minute.
If using frozen bananas, eliminate the ice cubes and add ¼ – ½ cup more water as needed.
Try some kale if you like in place of the spinach. I’ve also run out of greens and used micro greens, or just doubled up on the protein powder.
Nutritional information is calculated using hemp hearts. If using hemp protein, the fat content will most likely be much less.
Updated: Fresh Hemp Smoothie was originally published in January 2013. It has been retested and updated with new photos and helpful tips in March 2021. Recipe has stayed the same and is just as delicious as always!