Healthy Vegan Taco Salad with walnut taco meat and colorful veggies is a quick and easy raw salad full of texture and fresh flavors!
Say hello to fresh with this ultimate vegan taco salad with healthy walnut-mushroom taco meat, bell pepper, corn, crispy romaine, avocado, cilantro lime sour cream and a big squeeze of lime!
It’s refreshing, filling, and a perfect salad during the warm summer months or whenever you’re craving a taco salad! Plus, it’s loaded with fiber, protein, and essential vitamins and minerals.
There’s goodness everywhere in this colorful salad bowl. It’s clean, simple, easy to throw together, and I know you’ll love it too!
Ingredients You’ll Need
In this easy salad recipe, leafy lettuce, colorful veggies and nut meat are layered and topped with a creamy cilantro sour cream for a delicious vegan salad that’s healthy, and full of texture and fresh flavors.
Here is everything you’ll need, including variations:
- Walnut taco meat – Sub with black beans, chickpeas or pinto beans (but it won’t raw).
- Romaine – Use your favorite leafy or shredded lettuce.
- Bell pepper – Any color will do. I used orange to complete my rainbow.
- Corn – Fresh, canned or frozen (thawed). I highly recommend using grilled corn!
- Onion – Use whatever you have on hand. I used red for color contrast.
- Tomatoes – Grape or cherry tomatoes add juiciness and color.
- Avocado – Dice it up and mix it in for creaminess.
- Cilantro – Adds herby flavor, use as much as you like.
- Lime wedges – Use 1 – 2 limes squeezed over top for your dressing.
- Vegan Sour Cream – Can sub with Sriracha Cashew Cream.
- Jalapeno – Adds a nice dose of heat, but optional.
All ingredients are optional, but highly recommended for the ultimate taco salad!
How To Make Vegan Taco Salad
Making this Tex-Mex inspired salad takes just a few steps and is ready in minutes. Here’s a look at the steps, but you can find the full printable recipe is at the bottom of this post.
- Make the walnut taco meat. The walnut meat is made with walnuts, mushrooms and spices and is super easy to pull together. Simply add everything to your food processor and pulse until just crumbly, being careful to not over process.
- Cilantro Lime Sour Cream. Now, for some added extras to top things off. This creamy goodness is based on a basic cashew sour cream with wonderful added flavors of lime and cilantro. It’s a great accompaniment to this salad!
- Assemble the taco salad. Add a layer of leafy greens, top with veggies, nut meat and dollop or drizzle of sour cream. Top it all off with a squeeze of lime.
And now you’re ready to dine!
Here are a few ways to change up this salad, making it even better – if that’s possible!
- Serve with your crumbled tortillas chips or Crispy Roasted Chickpeas for crunch.
- Add a sprinkle of pepitas or sunflower seeds.
- Replace the walnut taco meat with a serving of un-pureed Instant Pot Refried Beans or Instant Pot Black Beans.
- Add a side of Cilantro Lime Rice or Quinoa Spanish Rice.
- Serve with a side of soup like this Vegan Pozole or Tex-Mex Quinoa Vegetable Soup.
- Top it with this spicy Sriracha Cashew Cream Sauce.
Let me know if you try this vegan raw salad recipe or have a question! Leave a comment and rate it below. I love to hear what you think, or any changes you make.Print
VEGAN TACO SALAD (HEALTHY + EASY)
Fresh and healthy, this Vegan Taco Salad with raw walnut taco meat, colorful veggies and cilantro-lime sour cream is simple, refreshing and will leave you feeling terrific!
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Total Time: 15 min
- Yield: Serves 2 - 3 1x
- Category: Salad, Entree
- Cuisine: Tex-Mex, Mexican
- Diet: Vegan
Walnut Taco Meat
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1 cup mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅛ teaspoon chipotle powder or cayenne
- salt + pepper, to taste
Cilantro Lime Sour Cream
- ½ cup cashews, soaked for 2 – 3 hours
- ¼ cup water, give or take
- 1 small lime, squeezed
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 clove garlic
- few sprigs cilantro
- pinch of mineral salt
- 2 heads romaine, chopped
- ½ cup handful grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 bell peppers (any color), diced
- 1 cup corn
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 1 small jalapeno, seeds removed and sliced or diced
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- pepitas, to garnish
- lime wedges, to serve
- sliced avocado, to serve
Walnut Taco Meat:
- Place ingredients in food processor and pulse until coarse and chunky. Don’t over blend or it will become a spread, pate like consistency. For pictures on how-to see Walnut Meat (4 ways).
Cilantro Lime Sour Cream:
- Soak your cashews in at least 1 cup cool water for 2 – 3 hours or 1 cup hot water for 5 min. Drain well.
- Add ingredients to blender or food processor, blend/process, scraping down the sides every now and then until smooth. Add extra water 1 tablespoon at a time if needed. For thicker cream use less water. For a thinner, pourable cream use more water.
Makes 1 cup, serves 8
Assemble taco salad:
- In individual bowls, add romaine, and top with corn, bell pepper, tomatoes, and walnut taco meat. Use as much as you like of anything.
- Serve with a few juicy limes as your dressing.
- Add a dollop of cream or a drizzle depending on how thick or thin your cream is.
Serves 2 – 3
Store: Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Nutritional information is calculated with the walnut meat and salad ingredients only. For nutritional information on the sour cream, see this Basic Cashew Sour Cream Recipe.
Nutritional values are estimates only. See our full nutrition disclosure here.
Updated: Healthy Taco Salad recipe originally published August 2012 and has been updated June 2020 with new photos and helpful tips.