KALE & QUINOA SALAD
Kale and Quinoa Salad is loaded with colorful vegetables and protein rich chickpeas for a delicious and healthy lunch, dinner or meal prep idea!
This Kale and Quinoa Salad recipe has been my new to-go lunch lately and I just love it. It’s simple, easy and nutrient dense, while of course tasting clean, fresh and delicious!
Might I also add, this kale and quinoa salad is anti-aging, anti-fattening and a mood enhancing salad. It has been proven that a healthy diet improves mood.
So go ahead and give this healthy kale & quinoa salad a try. Feel free to change up the salad to your liking by adding or subtracting any vegetables you prefer. For a little crunch, add a sprinkle of pumpkin seeds overtop.
I encourage you to get heart smart quinoa and kale into your diet and enjoy the benefits of clean, healthy eating!
How To Massage Kale
Kale can be tough and bitter, massaging kale before using it will help soften and reduce the bitterness, making it a little easier to eat. All you need it a little juice!
Massage kale following these simple steps:
- Remove the kale from the large center stem.
- Julienne the kale and give a good rough chop.
- Add the kale to a bowl, drizzle with lemon juice, and toss.
- Let rest for at least 15 minutes, tossing occasionally.
How To Make Kale and Quinoa Salad
- Cook the quinoa on the stovetop or use this Instant Pot Quinoa recipe for ease.
- Massage the kale and prep the carrots, red pepper, cucumber, zucchini, and red onion.
- Once the quinoa is ready, add the kale, bell pepper, carrots, onion, and cucumber with the quinoa.
- Add a little salt, lemon pepper and big squeeze of lemon, and toss well to combine.
- Serve warm, at room temperature or chilled.
And that’s it, delicious and healthy kale and quinoa salad made easy!
How To Store Leftovers + Meal Prep
- Refrigerator: Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 – 6 days.
- Meal prep: Kale Quinoa Salad is perfect for meal prepping. Store in portion sized covered containers with a slice of lemon for squeezing, adding brightness and moisture.
Kale Quinoa Salad makes for a light and healthy lunch or dinner. I love making a batch of this kale & quinoa salad and grazing on it throughout the day, it’s so GOOD! Here are a few ways to make it even heartier.
- Veggies + Dip: Serve with veggies sticks and homemade Classic Hummus or Simple White Bean Hummus.
- Soup: Pair with a small bowl of Vegan Cauliflower Soup, Chilled Avocado Cucumber Soup, or Vegan Potato Leek Soup.
- Bread: Who doesn’t like a little bread, especially this gluten free Socca chickpea flour bread or homemade Vegan Naan.
More Healthy Quinoa Salads
- Cherry, Pistachio + Mint Quinoa Salad
- Strawberry, Apple + Quinoa Spinach Salad
- Spinach + Berry Quinoa Salad
- Greek Chickpea & Quinoa Salad
- See all quinoa salad recipes on TSV!
If you try this healthy quinoa salad recipe, please let me know! Leave a comment and rate it below. I love to hear what you think, or any changes you make.Print
KALE QUINOA SALAD
A quick and easy Kale and Quinoa Salad that’s healthy and delicious! Perfect for light lunch, dinner or make ahead meals.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 15 min
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: Serves 4 - 6 1x
- Category: Salad, Entree
- Method: simmer, mix
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegan
- 1 cup dry quinoa, rinsed
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1 can (15oz) chickpeas, drained and rinsed (optional)
- 6 – 8 good sized kale leaves, stems removed and finely chopped or julienned
- 1/4 red onion, finely diced or 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1/2 large zucchini, diced
- 1/2 cucumber, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 – 3 lemons
- drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, optional
- lemon pepper seasoning or cracked pepper, to taste
- mineral salt to taste
Quinoa: Rinse your quinoa and place in a medium saucepan with water. Bring to boil over medium high heat, cover, reduce heat and simmer on low for 15 minutes. Once done, remove cover and let set for 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
Kale: While your quinoa is cooking, place the chopped kale in a medium size bowl or on a chopping board, drizzle with the juice of one lemon and mix occasionally. This will help massage and soften the kale a bit, reducing it’s bitterness.
Assemble: Once quinoa is done, combine the prepped veggies and kale, along with lemon pepper and salt to taste. Squeeze the juice of the remaining lemon on top and drizzle with optional oil, mix once more.
Serve at room temperature or chilled. This is a salad you can eat with a spoon!
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 5 – 6 days.
This is a great place to add a sprinkle of sunflower or pepitas (pumpkin) seeds. Hemp hearts would also be great.
FOLLOW TSV on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest or RSS for more updates and inspiration!
Yummy. I put sweet curry powder on the chick peas and broiled them till a bit crispy!