Mediterranean Smashed Chickpea Salad with chickpeas, bell pepper, Kalamata olives, artichoke and dill is full of flavor and makes a great wrap or sandwich filler, dip or salad! Ready in 15 minutes.
It’s mashed. It’s creamy. It’s another delicious smashed chickpea salad to add to the recipe collection!
Whether smashed or not, I love my chickpea salads! So much so that you’ll find 6 variations on the blog, each one as delicious as the next…
- Mashed Chickpea Salad
- Cranberry Walnut Chickpea Salad
- Sonoma Chickpea ‘Chicken’ Salad
- ‘Chickpea of the Sea’ Tuna Salad
- Curried Chickpea Salad
- Mashed Chickpea & Avocado Sandwich
They each have their special place in my heart and I’m excited to bring another one to the mix as they are so versatile and satisfying.
Let’s get started!
Mediterranean Smashed Chickpea Salad Ingredients
- 1/2 cup hummus + 3 – 6 tablespoons water to thin
- 2 cans (14 oz) chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
- 1 small red bell pepper
- 1/3 medium red onion
- 1/3 cup artichoke hearts
- 1/3 cup kalamata olives
- 2 teaspoons fresh dill
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt & pepper
- juice of 1 lemon
How To Make Smashed Chickpea Salad
1. Prep and dice the red onion, bell pepper, artichokes and olives (above left).
2. Roughly mash about 3/4 of the chickpeas, leaving a few whole (above right).
2. Add the veggies to the bowl with the mashed chickpeas.
3. Add the hummus dressing, lemon juice, dill, garlic powder, mineral salt & pepper (shown above).
4. Give a good mix (shown below) and enjoy!
And that’s all it takes to make this hearty and delicious, easy chickpea salad!
How To Store Chickpea Salad
Keep stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
How To Serve Smashed Chickpea Salad
For lighter fare:
- Lettuce wraps are cool and refreshing, use romaine or bibb lettuce. Top with sliced cherry tomatoes and julienned cucumbers.
- Make a salad, adding a serving on top of a bed of leafy greens, along with tomatoes, cucumber slices and a squeeze of lemon.
- Serve as a dip, scooping it up with crackers, freshly sliced cucumbers and red bell peppers, or endive works great too.
- This salad would also be great used in these Stuffed Avocados!
And for a heartier meal:
- It’s great as a sandwich filler, as shown below, using olive bread or your favorite bread. Add sliced tomatoes and cucumbers, along with a layer of hummus on the bread. Mashed avocado would be great too!
When searching for lunch, dinner, and make ahead meals, keep this smashed chickpea salad in mind! It’s also great as a snack and perfect to take along to parties, potlucks and picnics.
If you try this easy chickpea salad recipe, please let us know! Leave a comment and rate it below. I love to hear what you think, or any changes you make.Print
MEDITERRANEAN SMASHED CHICKPEA SALAD
A flavorful mix of smashed chickpeas, red bell pepper, artichokes, kalamata olives with a simple hummus dressing. Great sandwich and lettuce wrap filler! Ready in minutes!
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Total Time: 15 min
- Yield: Serves 6
- Category: Side, Salad
- Cuisine: Vegan
- 1/2 cup hummus + 3 – 6 tablespoons water to thin (see notes)
- 2 cans (14 oz) chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
- 1 small red bell pepper, cored and diced
- 1/3 medium red onion, diced
- 1/3 cup artichoke hearts, diced (in water pref.)
- 1/3 cup kalamata olives, chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh dill, chopped or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- mineral salt & fresh cracked pepper, to taste
- juice of 1 lemon
Dressing: In a small mixing bowl, add the hummus and water, mix well, set aside. If mixture is too thin, add more hummus. If mixture is too thick, add more water. Consistency should be creamy, not too thick, not too thin. Use your best judgement.
Mash chickpeas: In a large mixing bowl, add the chickpeas. Using the back of a fork, or potato masher, roughly mash about 3/4 of the chickpeas, leaving some whole.
Assemble: Add to the smashed chickpeas the remaining ingredients and mix well to combine.
Serve chilled or at room temperature.
Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 5 days in an air tight container.
Use this chickpea salad in lettuce wraps, on a bed of leafy greens with sliced cucumbers and tomatoes, scoop up with crackers of vegetables, or use as an amazing sandwich filler. A few pepperoncinis on the side would be great too!
Hummus can come in different blends and consistencies. Some are thicker than others. Start by adding the lower amount of water, adding more as needed to thin. For variation, garlic hummus would be great here!
If you don’t want to use hummus, vegan mayo will work too, use about 2/3 – 1 cup, starting with the smaller amount first. Alternately, tahini will work as well, use 1/2 cup tahini + 4 – 6 tablespoons water, adding more water as needed.