A new chickpea salad flavor-sensation is coming your way!
You may already be familiar with the Mashed Chickpea Salad Sandwich, Curried Chickpea Salad, Cranberry, Walnut Chickpea Salad, and ‘Chickpea of the Sea’ Salad Sandwich. All of which are satisfyingly delicious! Now we can add another variation to the list to keep it interesting and your tummy happy. You can never have too many of these chickpea salads in the recipe collection!
This Sonoma Chickpea Salad is a veganised version of the classic, Sonoma Chicken Salad. Chickpeas work great as a replacement here and you won’t miss a thing. I promise!
It’s a tasty mix of hearty chickpeas, juicy grapes, crunchy celery, and pecans all tossed together with a creamy poppy-seed dressing, and makes for a great sandwich or wrap filling, or if you prefer, simply serve over top a bed of leafy greens. It’s flavorful, filling, and highly addicting!
The salad itself is very simple with only 4 ingredients and the dressing is just as simple, adding an irresistible creaminess. Feel free to use more or less of any ingredients to suit your taste.
- Add more grapes for extra juiciness. They are delicious here!
- If you prefer a very creamy salad, make a little extra dressing.
- Because of their rich flavor profile I highly recommend using the pecans here, but if don’t care for them walnuts will be just fine.
- Feel free to cut this recipe in half, but I think you’ll be more than happy to have some leftovers (unless you’re like me and finish it within the day).
To Mash or Not To Mash Your Chickpeas
Usually when making these types of chickpea salads I roughly mash half of the chickpeas. Here I will try to inspire you with two versions, un-mashed and mashed (last photo). You can choose which one you prefer.
- If making this as a sandwich filler, I would suggest roughly mashing the chickpeas before combining. This will help the mixture bind together, making it ideal to use between bread slices. Nothing worse than your sandwich filling falling all over.
- Alternately, use this as a filling for a wrap or served with leafy greens, in which case you wouldn’t need to mash the chickpeas, unless that’s your preference.
Both ways are delicious!
Once your ingredients are ready, throw them all together in a large bowl and mix well to combine!
Colorful, simple, and full of flavor!
Serve this un-mashed version with leafy greens as shown below or tucked in a wrap.
The above photo is the un-mashed version, great with leafy greens, in a wrap or simply by itself.
Below is mashed, and perfect as a sandwich filler or served as an open-faced sandwich. I paired it with a pecan raisin loaf. Delicious!
For more inspiration take a look at these other delicious chickpea salad variations!
- Cranberry Walnut Chickpea Salad
- Mashed Chickpea & Avocado
- Mashed Chickpea Salad
- Chickpea of the Sea Salad
- Curried Chickpea Salad
- Mediterranean Mashed Chickpea Salad
SONOMA CHICKPEA SALAD
This versatile chickpea salad can be partially mashed for a sandwich/wrap filler or un-mashed and served alongside fresh leafy greens. Either way is delicious!
- 2 cans (14 oz.) chickpeas, drained and rinsed or 3 cups cooked
- 1 1/2 cups of grapes (about 33), sliced in half
- 2 – 3 celery stalks, diced
- 1/2 – 2/3 cup pecans, roughly chopped
Creamy Poppy-Seed Dressing
- 4 tablespoons tahini (1/4 cup) or vegan mayo
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- dash or two of garlic & onion powder
- pinch of salt & fresh cracked pepper
to serve, optional
- salad greens of choice
- slices of your favorite bread
- chopped chives, to garnish (not shown)
Dressing: Place ingredients in a small bowl and mix to combine. Add a tablespoon or two of water as needed to thin (keep in mind the dressing should be on the thicker side so it may not be needed). Set aside.
Salad: Add chickpeas, grapes, pecans, and celery to a medium-sized mixing/serving bowl. Top with dressing and mix to coat. Season with mineral salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste.
Mashed Salad (perfect for sandwiches): Add chickpeas to a medium-sized mixing bowl, roughly mash 2/3 – 3/4 of the chickpeas using the back of a fork or spoon. Add in the grapes, pecans, and celery, top with dressing and mix to combine. Season with mineral salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste.
Serve chilled or at room temperature.
Make sandwiches, wraps, or simply serve with leafy greens.
Serves 4 – 6
Store leftovers, if any, in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.