Curried Chickpea Salad
Curried Chickpea Salad – Full of flavor and texture, this vegan curry chickpea ‘chicken’ salad is quick and easy to make and perfect for a healthy salad, wrap, or sandwich filler!
Why We Love This Recipe!
Creamy chickpea salads are 100% crave-worthy! I can literally sit and eat the whole bowl within a day.
You may already be familiar with the classic Mashed Chickpea Salad, Sonoma Chickpea ‘Chicken’ Salad, or this flavorful Cranberry Walnut Chickpea Salad. All are full of fiber, protein, and well-balanced!
Honestly, I can’t say that I love one more than the other. They each have a different flavor and are equally delicious in my book. But if you’re a curry lover, you will be smitten over this curry chickpea salad!
I love the combination of curry with the sweetness of the raisins, along with the crunch from the carrots and cashews. It’s a perfect blend of flavor and texture!
The ingredients for this curry chickpea salad are simple and can be put together easily, within 10 minutes. Make it ahead and store it in the refrigerator for up to a week for easy-to-go lunches or to have on hand for snacking.
But I can almost guarantee this will not be in your fridge for that long. It will be gone almost as soon as you make it!
Inspired by a trip to Trader Joe’s, I saw their Curry Chicken Salad and made us all a vegan version. The ingredients came from the ingredient list on the package and did not disappoint!
Here is everything you will need:
- Chickpeas – use canned or fresh cooked
- Carrots – replace with diced red bell pepper for variation
- Raisins – adds a touch of sweetness, offsetting the curry
- Green onions
- Cashews – omit if you have nut allergies
- Vegan Mayo – use store bought or use this easy homemade vegan mayo (can also sub with thinned hummus or tahini, as noted in the recipe card)
- Cilantro – adds a touch of herbaceousness, can omit if you’re not a fan
- Lemon – adds overall brightness
- Curry + garlic powder
- Salt + pepper
How To Make Curry Chickpea Salad
- Mash chickpeas (or leave them whole): In a medium mixing bowl, add chickpeas and roughly mash about 1/2 – 2/3 of the beans with the back of a sturdy fork or potato masher.
- Dressing: Whisk together the vegan mayo or thinned hummus/tahini with curry and garlic powder.
- Assemble: Add in the carrots, scallions, raisins, cashews, and pour dressing over top along with a big squeeze of lemon, mix well to combine. Taste for flavor, adding salt and pepper to taste.
- Mash the chickpeas or leave them whole. Mashing is great when using as a sandwich filler, helping it to bind together. Leaving them whole is great too!
- Add a little zing. Vary up the dressing by adding a tablespoon or so of apple cider or white wine vinegar for a slight tang.
How To Store + Meal Prep
- Refrigerator: Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 – 6 days in a covered container.
- Meal prep: Curried Chickpea Salad is great for meal prep, using any of the suggestions below, and can be stored in serving size portions for grab-n-go meals or snacks.
How To Serve Curried Chickpea Salad
- Enjoy this salad alone or on a bed of leafy greens.
- Scoop it up with fresh sliced red bell peppers or crackers.
- Turn it into a hearty Curried Chickpea ‘Chicken’ Salad Sandwich.
- Make lettuce wraps (shown below) or roll up in tortillas with leafy greens.
- It’s great with fresh grapes for sweetness and juiciness.
However you choose to serve your curried chickpea salad, I encourage you to gather your ingredients and give it a try.
I think you will find it to be as good as the other chickpea salad recipes here. In fact, it may just become your new favorite!
More Easy Chickpea Salad Recipes
- Cranberry Walnut Vegan ‘Chicken’ Salad
- Mashed Chickpea & Avocado Sandwich
- Sonoma Chickpea ‘Chicken’ Salad
- ‘Chickpea of the Sea’ Tuna Salad Sandwich
- Mashed Chickpea Salad
- Mediterranean Smashed Chickpea Salad
If you try this healthy chickpea salad recipe, please let me know! Leave a comment and rate it below. I love to hear what you think, or any changes you make.Print
BEST CURRIED CHICKPEA SALAD
Creamy chickpea salads are a favorite in our home! They are highly addicting and so healthy. If you’re a curry lover, I know you will fall in love with this vegan Curried Chickpea Salad! Inspired by Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods Curried Chicken Salad.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Total Time: 15 min
- Yield: Serves 4 – 6 1x
- Category: Salad
- Method: mash, mix
- Cuisine: American, Indian
- Diet: Vegan
- 3 cups cooked or 2 cans (15 oz.) chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
- 2 – 3 carrots (about 1 cup), diced
- 3 – 4 scallions/green onions (about 1 cup), sliced
- 1/2 cup raisins, dried currants, or chopped dates
- 1/2 cup cashews (pref. raw)
- 1/2 – 2/3 cup vegan mayo (or thinned hummus or tahini, see notes)
- juice of one lemon
- 1 tablespoon curry powder, + more to taste
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- mineral salt & cracked pepper to taste
Curry Dressing: In a small bowl, combine vegan mayo with curry, garlic powder, and a generous pinch of salt. Blend until combined. Set aside. (If adding vinegar or maple syrup as per the notes below, add to the hummus at this time.)
Mash chickpeas (or leave them whole): In a medium mixing bowl, add chickpeas and roughly mash about 1/2 – 2/3 of the beans with the back of a sturdy fork or potato masher. Mashing is great when used as a sandwich filler, helping it to bind together.
Assemble: Add in the carrots, scallions, raisins, cashews, and pour dressing overtop along with a big squeeze of lemon, mix well to combine. Taste for flavor adding salt and pepper to taste.
Serve: Serve as is, with sliced red bell peppers as scoopers, on a bed of leafy greens, with crackers or made into a Chickpea Curry Salad Sandwich with bread of choice.
Serves 4 – 6
Store: Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 – 6 days.
The raisins add such a nice sweetness, feel free to use up to 3/4 cup so each bite has a taste. Try subbing with chopped dried cherries, dates, or currants.
If using hummus and it’s on the thick side, thin it out with water until desired thinness. Using a small bowl add a couple rounded tablespoons of hummus with 1 tablespoon of water. Adding more of each as you go until you have a thinner hummus. Do the same if using tahini. Feel free to use more for a super creamy salad. If measuring by tablespoons: 8 tablespoons = 1/2 cup and about 11 tablespoons = 2/3 cups (technically 10T + 2t).
You can try tweaking this recipe by adding a tablespoon or so of apple cider or white wine vinegar to the dressing. It will give it a slight tang.
You may also like to try adding a tablespoon of pure maple syrup or other liquid sweetener of choice to add a little sweetness all around.
Adjust curry, adding more or less, to suit your taste.
Try replacing the carrots with diced red bell peppers for color variation.
Nutritional values are estimates only. See our full nutrition disclosure here.
Updated: Curried Chickpea Salad was originally published in January 2014. It has been retested and updated with new photos and helpful tips in June 2020.
FOLLOW TSV on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, or RSS for more updates and inspiration!
A super easy and flavorful recipe! I used red bell pepper (in place of carrots) and golden raisins. I had the salad on toasted whole grain toast and over baby spinach – both were delicious!
Having stopped eating meat c5 years ago I still miss coronation chicken sandwiches! I tried this recipe and absolutely love it. Easy to make, delicious and satisfying.
Had this for lunch this week. I used thinned tahini instead of mayo, celery instead of scallions, and orange instead of lemon based on what I preferred and had. It was really delicious! I think next time I’ll use the citrus juice to thin the tahini instead of water, that way it can add more to the flavor. :)
This is one of my go to lunches for the week. I prepare on Sunday to make my work week easier.
I use hummus thinned with a bit of water, apple instead of raisins and depending on what I have in my refrigerator celery or carrots to provide extra crunch. I usually sprinkle with more curry just before eating. Yum!!
So delicious! I used dried cranberries instead of raisins and it was knockout! I diced the carrots and shallots finely. Will definitely make this again – thanks!
I made this yesterday and used grapes and celery in place of the raisins and other veggies, and I like it soo much! Thanks!
I love your substitutes, the grapes sound refreshing and delicious! Thanks for sharing, Jenny!
I left out the raisins because I’m not a raisin gal, but I did everything else as is and this is my new favorite recipe. Soo good on some crispy bread. I am obsessed with the taste and how easy it is!!
I’m psyched to try this recipe since I love Trader Joe’s curry chicken salad but prefer vegan. One question – is it 1/2 cup of mayo? It doesn’t specify the measurement, is it tablespoons or cups?
Thanks for pointing that out, Berry! It’s in cups, and I’ve updated the recipe card. Enjoy this chickpea salad!
Wow! What a treat! I made this with tahini (thinned with water) initially, but it juuuuust wasn’t right for me. (I don’t often use tahini but I had it in the fridge and figured why not) So I added in a couple scoops of mayo and it fixed it right up! I also added in a tbsp of maple syrup and the extra 1/4 c. of raisins, cause kids. 😅
I shredded the carrots as per a comment suggestion and it turned out great! I can’t wait to make this again!