It’s pizza time, and this vegan mediterranean pizza features chickpeas, artichoke hearts, kalamata olives, red onion, tomato and fresh basil is healthy and so easy to make!
I happen to love pizza but only eat it on occasion. It’s one of those versatile meals that can range from complex to simple depending on your ingredients. I chose to make this a Mediterranean style pizza with flavorful veggies and chickpeas for protein.
Since I’ve never been a fan of cheese on my pizza, even before my transition into veganism, you won’t find any here. But what you will find are lots of veggies and an almond parmesan topping. I know the parmesan isn’t very ‘Mediterranean’ but it tastes great nonetheless!
All in all, this pizza was enough to satisfy my pizza craving and the leftovers were just as good!
Ingredients You’ll Need
In this easy recipe, pizza dough is topped with tomato sauce, artichoke hearts, olives, red onion and chickpeas, and baked until perfection for a delicious Mediterranean inspired pizza.
Here is everything you will need:
- Pizza dough (pre-made or make your own pizza dough using this Artisan Bread recipe. Also, two of my favorite pre-made pizza crusts are Simple Organic Pizza Crust and Stonefire.)
- Artichoke hearts
- Olives (black or green)
- Red onion
- Pizza or marinara sauce
- Red pepper flakes
- Basil leaves
How To Make Mediterranean Pizza
If using a prepared dough or homemade dough, follow the package or recipe directions. Here I used a prepared dough from Trader Joe’s.
- Par-bake the dough: I like to bake my dough a bit before adding the toppings. I’ve found that adding toppings and then baking leaves the middle of the pizza soggy and undercooked, even when using a pizza stone. My recipe will suggest to prepare your dough and bake for 7 – 10 minutes before adding any toppings. This will help with the finished result and you should have cooked pizza all the way through. If using a pre-made pizza crust or flatbread, skip this step as the crust is already cooked.
- Add toppings: Carefully remove pizza dough from the oven and layer starting with the sauce, then the tomato slices, artichokes, olives, chickpeas and finally the red onion. Give a good sprinkle of red pepper flakes and mineral salt.
- Bake: Place back in the oven and bake for an additional 10 – 15 minutes.
Once rested add some fresh chopped basil or arugula and a dusting of almond parmesan. Slice and enjoy!
And there you have it, a flavorful, vegan Mediterranean pizza, made healthy and easy!
This flavorful Mediterranean inspired pizza can be served alone or with any of these delicious options, creating an even more nutritionally balanced meal.
- Toppings: Serve topped with Almond Parmesan.
- Salad: Pair with a Green Salad + Lemon Tahini Dressing or Mediterranean Kale Salad.
- Soup: Serve with a side of Lemon Chickpea Orzo Soup or Vegetable Quinoa Soup.
- Veggies + dip: Serve with veggie sticks and Classic Hummus, or White Bean Hummus, Vegan Ranch or Tahini-Miso Dip for dipping.
How To Store Leftovers
- Refrigerator: Leftovers can be kept in the refrigerator for up to 4 days, covered.
- Freezer: I’ve never kept this veggie pizza longer than a day so I haven’t tried freezing, but I’m sure it would do fine in freezer-safe ziplock bags with the air removed.
- Reheat: Reheat in the oven, preheated to 350 degrees, for 10 minutes or so. Alternatively, warm in the microwave using 30 second intervals until warm.
Love the flavors of Mediterranean cuisine? See all Mediterranean inspired recipes on TSV!
For more pizza inspiration, take a look at all vegan pizza recipes!
If you try this mediterranean pizza recipe, please let me know! Leave a comment and rate it below. I love to hear what you think, or any changes you make.Print
Mediterranean pizza is loaded with artichoke hearts, chickpeas, tomatoes, olives and baked until perfection!
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 25 min
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: Serves 4 - 6 1x
- Category: Entree
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: Vegan, Mediterranean
- 1 prepared pizza dough or pizza dough recipe
- 1/3 cup pizza or marinara sauce
- 1 tomato, thinly sliced
- 1 can artichoke hearts, sliced
- 1/3 cup black or green olives, halved
- 3/4 cup cooked chickpeas
- 1/4 small red onion, thinly sliced
- pinch of red pepper flakes, optional
- 6 – 7 large basil leaves, julienned
- almond parmesan, to serve
Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Place pizza stone or large baking sheet into the oven while oven heats.
Prep the dough: Let dough come to room temperature. Lightly flour a cutting board or flat workstation, gently stretch with your hands and roll out into a 12 inch pizza round. Be patient with the dough, it will want to shrink back (this is because of the gluten) but keep going you’ll get it to stay in place soon enough. Place dough on a good size piece of parchment paper, this is the easiest way to transfer the dough.
Par-bake dough: Once oven is ready, place dough on baking sheet and bake on the center rack for 7 – 10 minutes.
Layer pizza: Carefully remove pizza dough from the oven and layer starting with the sauce, then the tomato slices, artichokes, olives, chickpeas and finally the red onion. Give a good sprinkle of red pepper flakes and mineral salt.
Bake: Place pizza back in the oven for an additional 10 – 15 minutes. Let cool a few minutes.
To serve: Add basil or arugula over top. Cut into 4, 6 or 8 slices. Serve warm with a sprinkle of almond parmesan.
For a crisper crust, brush edges with olive oil.
Without heating pizza stone or pan: This method will also work without preheating your pizza stone or baking sheet. Simply add the dough to a lined pizza stone or baking sheet and bake accordingly. Preheating is just added insurance that your dough will not be soggy in the center.
Pre-made crust: If using pre-made pizza crust or flatbread, skip the dough prep as the pizza dough is already cooked. Two of my favorite pre-made pizza crusts are Simple Organic Pizza Crust and Stonefire.
Updated: Mediterranean Pizza was originally published in September 2015. It has been updated with new photos and helpful tips in February 2020. Recipe has stayed the same and is delicious as ever!