Orange Vegan French Toast features a hint of orange and cinnamon flavors and cooked on the griddle until golden for a quick and easy, healthy breakfast or brunch idea! Eggless and dairy-free recipe.
Why We Love This Recipe
Vegan Orange French Toast with orange juice, a hint of vanilla, and cinnamon for a most simple and delightful breakfast!
- Each slice cooks up golden on the outside and pillowy soft in the center, with subtle flavors of orange and cinnamon all around.
- It’s made with no eggs or dairy, and is perfect for those following a whole food plant based diet. You won’t miss a thing with this vegan french toast recipe!
Impress your family and friends with this delicious breakfast they will surely want you to make again and again.
Ingredients You’ll Need
Here’s a look at everything you will need, including ingredient substitutions. The measurements can be found in the printable recipe card below.
- Plant milk. I used unsweetened oat milk, but any non-dairy milk will do (soy, cashew, coconut, almond, etc.)
- Orange juice. Use fresh squeezed or bottled. If using bottled, use your preference of with pulp or without.
- Sweetener. All types of sweeteners will work – pure cane, coconut, date, or brown sugar. Also pure maple syrup would be delicious! And for zero-sugar, try monk fruit sweetener.
- Vanilla. Can omit if using vanilla flavored plant milk.
- Vegan butter or oil. Use your preferred ingredient for greasing the griddle or skillet.
Choosing The Best Bread For Vegan French Toast
Using the right bread to make vegan french toast is essential! I’ve had the best luck with dense, hearty breads such as sourdough, French or Italian loaves and round artisan breads, cut into 3/4 – 1 inch thick slices (1/2 inch pre-sliced loaves should be ok too). These breads are sturdy and can stand to be dipped in liquids. Unlike the majority of sandwich breads typically found in the bread aisle, which tend to get soggy in an eggless batter.
How To Make Orange French Toast
This vegan Orange French Toast recipe is SO easy to make!
- Slice the loaf of bread into 3/4 – 1 inch thick slices.
- In a shallow bowl, combine the orange juice, non-dairy milk, sugar, vanilla, and cinnamon.
- Dip the bread on both sides and cook on the griddle or skillet for 2 – 3 minutes per side, or until golden on each side.
And now you’re ready to enjoy vegan french toast with fragrant orange made simple, straightforward and quick!
- Choose the right bread. For the best results, head to the bakery section and pick up a loaf of sourdough, French, Italian or whole grain artisan bread!
- Opt for all orange juice. Out of milk or just want more orange flavor, you can replace the milk with orange juice.
Result is golden, flavorful slices of pillowy soft deliciousness. I ❤️ orange-french toast!
- Serve orange french toast with pure maple syrup for a simple meal.
- Add fresh orange slices for freshness and color.
- For a little extra sweetness, try adding a light dusting of organic powdered sugar over top.
- Serve with other fresh fruits of choice, or try this Cherry Berry Fruit Salad on the side.
More Vegan Breakfast Recipes!
- Banana French Toast (Vegan + Healthy)
- Simple Tofu Scramble
- Breakfast Potatoes
- Chickpea + Sweet Potato Breakfast Hash
- Vegan Frittata
Let me know if you try this orange french toast recipe or have a question! Leave a comment and rate it below. I love to hear what you think, or any changes you make.Print
ORANGE FRENCH TOAST (VEGAN)
A wonderfully flavored vegan french toast infused with hints of orange and cinnamon for a delicious meal to be enjoyed any time of day!
- Prep Time: 5 min
- Cook Time: 10 min
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: Serves 3
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: griddle
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegan
- 1 loaf french or sourdough bread, sliced 3/4 – 1 inch thick
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk, or non-dairy milk of choice
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons pure cane sugar, maple syrup or coconut palm sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 tablespoons vegan butter or coconut oil, for griddle/skillet
- pure maple syrup
- pure cane powdered sugar, optional
- fresh orange slices
Preheat a griddle according to manufacturer’s instructions (it’s usually 350 degrees for french toast). Alternatively, warm a large skillet over medium heat.
Mix: In a medium size, flat bottom, shallow bowl, mix together the milk, orange juice, sweetener, cinnamon, and vanilla extract.
Cook: Grease the griddle or skillet. Lightly dip both sides of toast into the mixture, place on the griddle, and cook until golden brown on each side, approx. 3 minutes per side.
Serve with pure maple syrup and garnish of choice.
Serves about 3 – 4, depending on how thick you cut your slices. 2 slices per serving.
Nutrition information is based on 1/2 loaf of bread, or about 6 slices.
Updated: Orange French Toast was originally published in November 2012. It has been retested and updated with new photos and helpful tips in February 2021.