This easy tofu scramble made with block tofu and simple seasonings is a delicious and healthy way to start your day! It’s easy to customize with veggies and herbs for your best vegan egg scramble.
Vegan egg scrambles are pretty popular around here!
We have a few different versions like this Southwest Tofu Scramble , Kimchi Tofu Scramble, Veggie Tofu Scrambled Eggs or Scrambled Tofu Stuffed Poblanos. All are amazing and worthy of the meal rotation!
I thought it was time to add a simple version that’s practically foolproof, delicious, and easy to customize!
Why We Love This Recipe!
- Can’t beat the simplicity. It’s a great basic tofu scramble that’s simple enough for every day!
- It’s versatile. This easy vegan scramble can be served with breakfast potatoes, fresh sliced tomatoes and avocado. Or use it for tofu scrambled tacos, burritos, breakfast bowls, and more!
- Healthy. With zero cholesterol and a fair amount of protein in each serving, you can ditch the eggs and do the tofu scramble instead!
In this recipe, tofu is crumbled and scrambled with spices creating a vegan scrambled eggs that’s perfect anytime of day!
Here is everything you’ll need, including variations and substitutions:
- Tofu – Regular firm or extra-firm (not silken, it’s too soft and moist).
- Nutritional Yeast – Adds a savory, cheesy flavor and is optional.
- Turmeric – Adds a light yellow hue that eggs have, can be optional for making ‘egg whites’.
- Black Salt – Aka kala namak (affiliate link), this salt adds a sulphur flavor that is characteristic of eggs and can be optional. If you’ve never used it before you’ll be amazed!
- Salt + Pepper – Season to taste.
- Vegan Cream (plain + unsweetened) – Adds a little fluffiness, but is optional. I also love this oat milk creamer. Sub with unsweetened plant milk too.
- Garlic + Onion Powder – I like adding a little of each for full flavor, but it’s optional.
How To Make Tofu Scramble
Here is quick look at the process of making tofu scrambled eggs. For the full printable recipe see below.
- Drain the tofu. As shown above, I like to let my tofu rest on its side a few minutes while gathering all the ingredients. The tofu doesn’t need to be pressed as the moisture will cook away, but it doesn’t hurt to let it rest a few minutes to drain on its own.
- Crumble the tofu and cook. Once the pan is hot, add the tofu while crumbling it between your fingers (above right). Alternatively, add the tofu block to the skillet and use the back of a fork to mash it a bit. You can also break it up with a wooden spoon. Cook for 2 – 3 minutes.
- Add the spices. Add the turmeric, nutritional yeast, optional garlic + onion powder, salt and pepper, cooking for 2 minutes more, stirring frequently.
- Add the cream. Lastly, add the vegan cream and black salt, and let simmer another 2 – 3 minutes.
And that’s it! Now you’re ready to enjoy.
- Add veggies. When adding the spices, add a couple handfuls of spinach, mushrooms, onion, bell peppers, and more.nYou can also see all the other tofu scrambles on TSV for more ideas!
What To Serve With Tofu Scrambled Eggs
This tofu scrambled eggs is super versatile and can be served in a variety of ways. Here are a few of my favorite ways:
- Potatoes: Serve with Chickpea + Sweet Potato Breakfast Hash, Breakfast Potatoes or Yukon Gold + Sweet Potato Home Fries.
- Fresh veggies: Serve with fresh sliced tomatoes and avocado.
- Bread: Nothing better than a slice of toasted and buttered homemade Artisan Bread or soft and chewy Vegan Naan with scrambles.
- Classic breakfast: Make a full meal and serve with the classics like Vegan Biscuits and Gravy, Vegan Waffles or Pancakes.
- Fruit: Add a side of fresh fruits like this Cherry-Berry Fruit Salad or Cantaloupe + Cucumber Salad.
- Burritos + Tacos: Make burritos or tofu scramble egg tacos with corn or flour tortillas, Pico de Gallo, and Easy Refried Beans and hot sauce.
How To Store + Reheat
- Refrigerator: Leftovers will keep for 5 – 6 days in the refrigerator, stored in a covered container. It makes a great meal prep for the week too!
- Freezer: Tofu scramble is freezer friendly and freezes well for up to 2 months. To freeze, let cool completely and store in freezer safe containers (affiliate link). Let thaw before reheating. You can also freeze larger portions in large ziplock bags, squeezing out all the excess air.
- Reheat: Simply re-warm on the stovetop over low heat until warmed through, adding a splash of milk as needed. Alternatively, reheat in the microwave using 30 second intervals, stirring after each, until warm.
More Easy Breakfast Recipes
- Applesauce Waffles
- Banana French Toast
- Healthy Bowl Of Cinnamon Oatmeal
- Vegetable Vegan Frittata
- Orange French Toast
If you try this easy tofu recipe, please let me know! Leave a comment and rate it below. I love to hear what you think, or any changes you make.Print
SIMPLE TOFU SCRAMBLE
This easy, everyday tofu scramble is made with tofu and simple seasonings for a delicious and healthy way to start your day! Easily customizable with veggies and herbs for your best vegan egg scramble.
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 10
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: Serves 4
- Category: Breakfast, Entree
- Method: stovetop, scramble
- Cuisine: Vegan, American
- 1 block (14oz.) tofu, soft, firm or extra-firm (not silken)
- 1 – 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon EACH garlic + onion powder, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 tablespoon vegan cream, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon black salt (kala namak), optional
- salt + pepper, to taste
Drain the tofu, no need to press as the water will dissipate as it cooks. I typically let the block of tofu rest on its side thin side to drain for a few minutes before using.
Cook Tofu: Heat the skillet over medium heat, add the tofu while crumbling it between your fingers (above right). Alternatively, add the tofu block to the skillet and use the back of a fork to mash it a bit. You can also break it up with a wooden spoon. Do whatever is comfortable or makes sense for you. Cook for 2 – 3 minutes.
Add seasoning: Add the turmeric, nutritional yeast, optional garlic + onion powder, salt and pepper, cooking for 2 minutes more, stirring frequently. If adding veggies, this is the perfect time to add them.
Add cream: Lastly, add the vegan cream and black salt, and cook another 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
Black salt, aka kala namak (affiliate link), adds a sulphur flavor that is characteristic of eggs. If you’re looking for a true egg flavor, add a pinch and be amazed!
Add additional veggies such as fresh spinach, diced bell pepper, mushrooms, onion, broccoli, etc. after adding the spices.
Recipe can easily be doubled for a crowd.
Keywords: tofu scramble, vegan tofu scramble