Portobello Fajitas – Quick and easy to make using 1 pan and ready in 30 minutes, these mushroom fajitas make a healthy and delicious plant-based weeknight meal!
This vegan portobello fajitas recipe with meaty mushrooms, colored bell peppers and sliced onion sauteed with smoky spices and served with warmed corn tortillas is perfect when you need a quick and easy weeknight meal!
Add creaminess to your portobello mushroom tacos by adding smashed avocado with a squeeze of lime. It’s a healthy combination of veggies all tucked and folded in a gluten free corn tortilla.
Easy and delicious, I pretty much think they’re the best vegan mushroom fajita tacos ever!
Ingredients You’ll Need
In this recipe, portobello mushrooms are sauteed with bell pepper, onion and spices, then folded into tacos and served with your favorite taco toppings for a delicious and hearty vegan main dish.
Here is everything you will need:
- Bell peppers – Use 3 of any combination of colored peppers you like – green, red, orange and yellow.
- Portobello mushroom – You’ll need 2 whole portobello mushroom caps (or 8 oz.), cut into to 1/3 inch slices. You might find them already precut too. If you don’t care for the gills underneath, use a spoon to scrape them off.
- Onion – Any color will do – white, yellow or red. Use your favorite or whatever you have on hand.
- Spices – I have listed cumin, smoked paprika and garlic powder. You can vary this up by switching the smoked paprika to plain paprika or chili powder.
- Corn tortillas are my favorite and they’re gluten free, but flour tortillas are great too!
- Garnish – Top off your tacos with the optional avocado, diced jalapenos, cilantro and squeeze of lime.
How To Make Mushroom Fajitas
- In a large skillet, heat oil or water over medium heat, add the onions, peppers, cumin, smoked paprika, garlic powder and salt, toss to combine.
- Add in the mushrooms and saute, gently stirring the mushrooms carefully, until peppers and portobellos are soft, about 10 – 15 minutes.
- Smash or slice the avocado. I smashed mine and added the juice of 1 lime and about 2 tablespoons of diced jalapeno and generous pinch of salt.
- Warm the tortillas. Layer each tortilla with the mushroom-pepper mix, top with avocado and cilantro. Add a squeeze of lime over top. A little hot sauce would be great too!
Simple and easy, Portobello Mushroom Fajitas right to your table in under 30 minutes!
Turn your mushrooms tacos into an even heartier meal with any of these delicious sides, soup and bowl ideas:
- Grain: Serve with a side of this flavorful Cilantro Lime Rice.
- Beans: Serve with a side of homemade Quick + Easy Refried Beans or Black Beans (Instant Pot).
- Bowl Meal: Use portobello fajitas in this Nacho Bowl or Vegan Burrito Bowl.
- Toppings: Top with Pico de Gallo, Guacamole, or Fresh Corn Salsa.
- Soup: Serve with Tex-Mex Quinoa Vegetable Soup or White Bean + Tomatillo Soup.
- Salad: Pair with a leafy green salad like this Southwest Chickpea Salad or Avocado, Broccoli + Black Bean Salad.
How To Store Leftovers
- Refrigerator: Leftovers will keep for 5 days in the refrigerator, stored in a covered container.
- Freezer: This mushroom fajitas is freezer friendly and freezes well for up to 2 – 3 months. To freeze, let cool completely and store in freezer safe containers (affiliate link) or ziplock baggies. Let thaw before reheating.
- Reheat: Simply re-warm on the stovetop over low heat until warmed through, adding a little water so it doesn’t stick to the pan. Alternatively, reheat in the microwave using 30 – 60 second intervals, stirring after each, until warm.
More 30-Minute Meal Ideas
- One-Pot Penne Pasta w/ Mushrooms + Sausage
- Black Bean Fajitas + Guacamole
- Roasted Poblano Taco Sliders
- Creamy Broccoli & Pasta
If you try this easy mushroom recipe, please let me know! Leave a comment and rate it below. I love to hear what you think, or any changes you make.Print
EASY PORTOBELLO FAJITAS (30-MINUTES)
This vegan fajita taco recipe is perfect when you need a quick and easy weeknight meal!
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 15 min
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 6 Tacos, Serves 3 1x
- Category: Entree
- Method: stovetop, saute
- Cuisine: Vegan
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or 1/4 cup water (for water saute)
- 2 portobello mushrooms
- 1/2 large onion, sliced
- 3 bell peppers (any combo of red, orange, yellow or green), sliced
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon mineral salt, or to taste
- 2 avocados
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- cilantro sprigs
- 2 limes
- 6 corn or flour tortillas
In a large skillet, heat oil or water over medium heat, add the onions, peppers, cumin, smoked paprika, garlic powder and salt, toss to combine.
Add in the mushrooms and saute, gently stirring the mushrooms carefully, until peppers and portobellos are soft, about 10 – 15 minutes.
Smash or slice the avocado. I smashed mine and added the juice of 1 lime and about 2 tablespoons of diced jalapeno and generous pinch of salt.
Layer each tortilla with the mushroom-pepper mix, top with avocado and cilantro. Add a squeeze of lime over top. A little hot sauce would be great too!
Makes 6 tacos, serves 3
Change up the smoked paprika using:
- regular paprika
- chili powder
- or smoked chipotle powder for spiciness (use 1/2 – 3/4 teaspoon)
To round out the nutritional profile, add a can of black beans (drained and rinsed), for more protein, in the last 5 minutes of cooking.
Nutritional information is calculated using corn tortillas.