This vegan Potato, Leek & White Bean Soup is brimming with hearty vegetables and protein rich beans. Requiring only a few simple ingredients, it’s a delicious blend of flavors and is ready in about 30 minutes!
I love making soups during the hustle and bustle of the holiday season. They’re just so easy to throw together, making life so much easier!
And when it’s time to clean out the fridge, I can almost always pull something together with a few stocked canned goods.
Potato, Leek & White Bean Soup
Tips & Variations:
- I’ve made this soup a few times and found that I love tarragon as my herb, along with savory. But don’t worry, if you don’t have either of these two herbs on hand, thyme or herbs de provence will work great.
- The preferred potato to use would be Yukon gold, red or white, but russet would be ok too. I used gold potatoes here.
- For the beans, I would stick with cannellini or great northern, but chickpeas (garbanzo beans) would be great too.
- If you manage to have left overs, the flavors get even better. And the soup will thicken a bit after a couple of hours from the potatoes which is nice (soup shown here is right after cooking and broth is thin).
So gather your ingredients and get ready for a simple and flavorful soup to keep you warm and feeling your best any time of year!
How To Make Potato, Leek & White Bean Soup
What you’ll need:
- Yukon gold potatoes
- Olive oil (or water saute)
- Tarragon & savory or herbes de Provence
- Red pepper flakes
- Cannellini beans
- Vegetable broth
- Mineral salt & fresh cracked pepper
Slice and rinse leeks well to remove any dirt and debris. Sauté the leeks for 7 minutes, add spices and cook a minute more. Add the remaining ingredients, as shown above, and cook until potatoes are fork tender, about 15 – 20 minutes (shown below).
And voila, soups on – it’s that easy!
How Long Will Leftovers Keep?
Leftovers will keep for 5 – 6 days in the refrigerator, stored in a covered container. Re-warm on the stovetop or the microwave. It makes a great meal prep for the week with bread on the side for soaking up the juices.
Can You Freeze Potato Leek Soup?
Yes, it freezes beautifully for up to 2 months! My favorite way to freeze this soup is in individual small containers that are freezer safe. That way whenever I want a warm, cozy soup I can just pull it from the freezer and warm it up. You can also freeze larger portions in large ziplock bags or containers.
More Soup Recipe You’ll Love
- Kale, Quinoa & White Bean Soup
- A Very Good Split Pea Soup
- Rustic Cabbage, Potato & White Bean Soup
- Vegan Minestrone Soup
- See all the Soup recipes on TSV!
If you try this vegan soup recipe, please let us know! Leave a comment and rate it below. I love to hear what you think, or any changes you make.Print
POTATO + LEEK + WHITE BEAN SOUP
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: Serves 4 - 6
- Category: Soup, Entree
- Cuisine: Vegan
- 2 1/2 lbs. yukon gold potatoes, cubed 1/2 inch
- 2 medium/large leeks, sliced and dirt removed (white & pale green parts only)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or 1/4 cup water (water saute)
- 3/4 teaspoon each dried tarragon & savory or 1 1/2 teaspoons herbes de provence or thyme
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- 3 cups cooked or 2 cans (15 oz.) cannellini beans (drained and rinsed)
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- mineral salt & fresh cracked pepper to taste
- fresh parsley, to garnish
In a large pot or dutch oven, heat oil/water over medium-high. Add leeks and saute until softened, about 5 minutes. Add in herbs and spices, cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add in potatoes, beans, broth and salt & pepper to taste. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for about 20 minutes, or until potatoes are fork tender. Let cool a few minutes before serving.
Serves 4 – 6
You can change up the herbs here with what you have on hand. I really love the tarragon and savory here but starter cooks may not have them on hand so the herbs de provence and thyme will be great too!
Here is a simple guide to slicing and cleaning leeks: How To Clean Leeks