Lemon Quinoa & Chickpea Salad
Healthy Lemon Quinoa Chickpea Salad is light, well-balanced and delicious! This veggie loaded salad is quick, easy, and can be served as a side or main dish. Oil-free + vegan recipe.
Quinoa salads are one of my favorite dishes to put together. Most of the time I don’t plan on a specific list of vegetables to include in my quinoa salad unless I’m specifically doing a certain theme like this Greek Quinoa Salad or this Apple Harvest Quinoa Salad.
This lemon quinoa & chickpea salad just happened to be ingredients that needed to be used up in the refrigerator that I threw together, and as usual tasted amazing!
Why We Love This Recipe!
- It’s healthy. Full of whole food plant based ingredients, this quinoa chickpea salad is a low-fat and oil-free recipe loaded with protein, fiber, and vitamins! See the nutritional label below.
- Easily customized. This can easily be a kitchen sink salad letting you use whatever veggies you have on hand or need to use up!
- It’s made in one pot. All in one pot recipes make for easy cooking and clean-up!
Together, quinoa and chickpeas make for a healthy base. All that’s needed is a few veggies, chopped parsley, a little salt, pepper and a big squeeze of lemon!
Here is everything you will need, including ingredient variations:
- Chickpeas – Garbanzo beans are one my favorite beans and they add texture and plenty of nutrition to this easy quinoa salad! Use fresh cooked, or canned for ease.
- Quinoa – My all time favorite grain that’s technically a seed, but is more often referred to as a grain. It’s gluten free, and just like chickpeas is full of nutrition.
- Veggies – I used diced baby carrots, cucumber, yellow bell pepper, tomatoes, and green onions for a variety of colors. Feel free to use your favorite veggies here such as zucchini, corn, chopped spinach, etc.
- Garlic powder – Adds a nice flavor to the quinoa. You can also add in a clove or two of fresh minced garlic if you like.
- Lemon – This one ingredient is what will dress the salad. If you want something a bit more intense and delicious, try using this Zesty Garlic + Lemon Dressing!
How To Make Lemon Quinoa Chickpea Salad
Making this salad is as easy as:
- Cook the quinoa.
- Prep the veggies.
- Toss it all together.
Now you’re ready to enjoy or save for later!
- Add seasoning. I’ve added various seasonings from time to time to change it up. A few good ones to try are an everyday seasoning or lemon pepper blend. Even a teaspoon or so of dried thyme, dill, or basil would be nice.
- Add a more robust dressing. I love the simplicity of just adding squeezed lemon, but if you want to add a kick this Zesty Garlic + Lemon Dressing would be great.
- Add leafy greens. Toss in a few small handfuls of your favorite leafy greens such as arugula, baby kale or spinach, spring mix, etc., for more color and healthy fiber.
How To Store
- Refrigerator: Leftover chickpea quinoa salad can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 – 6 days. Keep covered in containers.
- Make ahead + meal prep: You can make this recipe ahead of time and keep in the refrigerator for later. If meal prepping you can get 4 healthy servings. Whether it’s for breakfast, lunch or dinner, this salad is full of simple nutrient dense foods that will leave you feeling satisfied!
More Healthy Salad Recipes!
- Greek Quinoa Salad
- Grilled Peach, Corn & Zucchini Quinoa Salad
- Roasted Cauliflower + Chickpeas + Mustard Dressing
- Crunchy Thai Quinoa Salad
- Kale + Quinoa Salad
- Quinoa Salad w/ Orange, Cranberry + Mint
If you try this easy salad recipe or have a question, please let me know! Leave a comment and rate it below. I love to hear what you think, or any changes you make.Print
Lemon Quinoa & Chickpea Salad
Quinoa, chickpeas and diced carrots, bell peppers, cucumber, scallions, parsley, and big squeeze of lemon make this a light, well-balanced, healthy side or main dish!
- Prep Time: 5 min
- Cook Time: 25 min
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 3 – 4 1x
- Category: Entree
- Method: boil, mix
- Cuisine: American, Vegan
- 1 cup dry quinoa (I used tri-color)
- 1 3/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 cups cooked or 1 can (15 oz.) chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups cucumber, quartered and thinly sliced
- 1 red or yellow bell pepper (about 1 cup), diced
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, sliced in half
- 3/4 cup carrots, diced small
- 1/2 cup scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 – 1 cup parsley, chopped
- 2 – 3 juicy lemons (about 1/4 – 1/3 cup), juice of
- red pepper flakes, optional
- mineral salt & fresh cracked pepper, to taste
Rinse quinoa: In a fine mesh sieve rinse quinoa under cool running water.
Cook quinoa: In a large pot, combine water, quinoa and garlic powder, bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove cover and let set 10 – 15 minutes. Fluff with a fork. Alternatively, use this quick and easy Instant Pot Quinoa.
Prep veggies: While the quinoa is cooking prep the veggies.
Assemble salad: Once quinoa is ready, add the chickpeas, carrots, cucumber, scallions, bell pepper, tomatoes, parsley, lemon juice and spices, mix well. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Serve warm, at room temperature, or chilled. I love serving mine with more lemon juice drizzled on top. Avocado slices would be a great addition too!
Serves 3 – 4
Seasonings: You can really use any seasoning here you like. I used a bit of Trader Joe’s 21 Salute Seasoning mix. Or you can use an everyday seasoning, lemon pepper blend or any of your favorite spices. Even a teaspoon or so of thyme, basil, cumin or any of your favorites will work here. Keep it simple or add various spices to suit your taste.
Dressing: If you want something a bit more intense than just the lemon, try using this Zesty Garlic + Lemon Dressing!
Updated: Quinoa + Chickpea Salad was originally published in January 2014. It has been retested and updated with new photos and helpful tips in March 2021.
FOLLOW TSV on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, or RSS for more updates and inspiration!
OK – holy smokes! This recipe is the bomb! I didn’t have any parsley but we didn’t miss it – I served with avocado and was liberal with the spices – added Trader Joe’s 21 Seasoning Salute as suggested along with a bit of oregano and heavy sprinkles of the red pepper flakes. Lord have mercy!!!!! I’ll be making this often!
This is seriously the best salad ever!! Exactly as listed, and I add a little steamed broccoli cut up really small. So so delicious! Thank you!
Yum! Was a hit at our lunch table with company yesterday!
Having this with salmon for dinner tonight. It tastes wonderful. Then all on its for lunch tomorrow. Yum. Thanks for great recipe.
I haven’t made this yet, but would like to try this with butternut squash. I think it should work well. Also, to perk it up a little, some cumin and a tiny pinch of cayenne sounds interesting.
Thanks for such a healthy recipe.
Simple, flavorful, and healthy salad! I’m adding this to my regular rotation. I added avocado as you mentioned, and it adds a lovely richness to the mix. Thank you!
Had this tonight as a side with our chicken (not vegan haha) – delicious!