GRILLED HUMMUS SANDWICH + CARAMELIZED ONION
Grilled Hummus Sandwich featuring caramelized onions, juicy tomatoes and arugula and creamy hummus is a simple and delicious warm vegan sandwich all types of eaters will enjoy!
If you love caramelized onions, you’re going to love this grilled hummus sandwich with sauteed onions, tomato and arugula!
I’ve been loving sandwiches lately. It’s a nice change from all the soups I’ve been eating.
After seeing this wonderful recipe from Katy’s Kitchen (no longer around) featuring caramelized onions I was all in to give a grilled hummus sandwich a try.
And as you probably already guessed it did not disappoint!
So without further ado, let’s get to it!
Grilled Hummus Sandwich
For this recipe, I wanted to create something a little faster and decided to simply sauté the onions until golden around the edges, but you will find how to caramelize onions in the recipe card notes.
This sandwich is warm, juicy, full of simple flavors, and will melt in your mouth. I love everything about it – even the slight messiness of eating it. And the onion breath afterward, it’s so worth it!
Here is everything you’ll need:
How To Make Grilled Hummus Sandwich
- Saute the onions. Start by sauteing the onions with a little bit of oil until golden around the edges and tender, about 5 – 7 minutes keeping an eye on the last 2 minutes so they don’t over char on the edges. You can cook them over low heat for 30 minutes, letting them caramelize.
- Preheat griddle. Next, heat the griddle over medium high. Depending on what type of griddle you are using, you may want to lightly grease it. I used a cast iron griddle and didn’t grease mine.
- Assemble sandwiches. Layer both inside slices of bread with a generous amount of hummus. Add a layer of sautéed onions, then sliced tomato, arugula and a sprinkle of salt & pepper. Top with slice of bread and gently press down.
- Grill sandwiches. Drizzle or brush olive oil on the top. Place oiled side on griddle and cook for about 2 – 3 minutes, or until golden (times may vary, check periodically so the bread doesn’t burn). Before flipping, drizzle or brush the top with olive oil. Using a good size spatula, flip and cook for another 2 -3 minutes until bread is golden once again and sandwich is warmed through.
That’s it, all it takes is a few simple ingredients and then grill to perfection. Seriously delicious!
- Use your favorite hummus. Use store bought or make homemade classic hummus or white bean hummus. Flavored hummus would be great too!
- Caramelize the onions. For true caramelized onions, simply cook them over low heat for 30 minutes, stirring often, until soft, tender and golden.
- This sandwich is best fresh from the griddle. It will hold up at room temp for a few hours, but is best eaten right away.
- Protein shake: Since the protein amount is on the low side, I recommend pairing this with, or having after, a vanilla or Chocolate shake, adding protein powder. Or maybe this Banana Split Protein Smoothie.
- Nice Cream: You may even consider this Almond Chunky Monkey Ice Cream or Raw Chocolate Banana Ice Cream with an added scoop of protein powder and a splash of non-dairy milk.
Adding any of the above will round out your meal perfectly making sure all your nutritional needs are met. Then give yourself a pat on the back for making such great choices!
- Soup: Serve with a bowl of Vegan Tomato Basil Soup or Vegan Cauliflower Soup.
- Salad: Pair with a side salad like this Classic House Salad.
More Sandwich Recipes You’ll Love
- Mediterranean Veggie Sandwich
- Grilled Peanut Butter & Apple Sandwich
- Smoky Chipotle Maple Tofu Sandwich
- Mashed Chickpea Salad
- Cranberry Walnut Vegan ‘Chicken’ Salad Sandwich
If you try this grilled hummus sandwich recipe, please let us know! Leave a comment and rate it below. I love to hear what you think, or any changes you make.Print
GRILLED HUMMUS SANDWICH + SAUTEED ONION
Grilled Hummus Sandwich features a few of my favorite ingredients all nestled inside a toasty sandwich!
- Prep Time: 5 min
- Cook Time: 15 min
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: Serves 2
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegan
- 1 large onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large tomato, sliced
- 2 small handfuls of arugula
- 1/2 cup hummus (use your favorite)
- mineral salt & fresh cracked pepper
- 4 slices bread of choice
Saute onions: Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a medium pan over medium high heat, add sliced onion and cook, stirring occasionally until golden around the edges and tender, about 5 – 7 minutes keeping an eye on the last 2 minutes so they don’t over char on the edges. Set aside.
Preheat griddle: Heat your griddle over medium high. Depending on what type of griddle you are using, you may want to lightly grease it. I used a cast iron griddle and didn’t grease mine.
Assemble sandwiches: Layer both inside slices of bread with 2 tablespoons each of hummus. Add a layer of sautéed onions, then sliced tomato, arugula and a sprinkle of salt & pepper. Add top slice of bread and gently press down.
Grill: Drizzle or brush olive oil on the top. Place oiled side on griddle and cook for about 2 – 3 minutes, or until golden (times may vary, check periodically so the bread doesn’t burn). Before flipping, drizzle or brush the top with olive oil. Using a good size spatula, flip and cook for another 2 -3 minutes until bread is golden once again and sandwich is warmed through.
Slice and devour!
Pairs well with seasonal fresh fruit or homemade baked potato chips.
Caramelized onions. To caramelize onions, cook them over low heat for 30 minutes, stirring often, until soft, tender and golden.
If your bread is on the larger side, you may consider slicing it in half either before layering and/or grilling.
If your humus is on the thicker side, thin it out with a little water making it less pasty and more like a mayo consistency.
Updated: Grilled Hummus Sandwich was originally published in January 2014. It has been retested and updated with new photos in July 2020.
FOLLOW TSV on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest or RSS for more updates and inspiration!
This was delicious
This was wonderful! I am a busy mom looking to transition to plant based eating and these simple recipes make my day! This was also freaking delicious!
I love this sandwich so much that I am going to have to go to the store tomorrow just to buy an onion. I think I will add some sauteed mushrooms next time. Yummy!
Yes, it is that good, those onions are divine! The mushrooms sound like a great addition too. Thanks so much for the inspiration, enjoy! Cheers :)