Buffalo Chickpea Tacos with spiced chickpeas and colorful toppings is a quick and easy vegan taco recipe made with whole food plant based ingredients for a healthy and delicious meal that’s ready in under 30 minutes!
I have been eating these chickpea tacos on a regular basis lately. They are simple, yet delicious, and decided to put this quick and easy taco recipe here as a valuable veggie resource.
These little chickpea tacos can be eaten as a snack or a meal. Usually, I skip the cabbage and cilantro if I don’t have it on hand.
Typically I eat these tacos with just the spiced buffalo chickpeas, avocado and crema. But for the recipe I added a few extras, making it a bit heartier and colorful.
They have been a welcome and useful creation that’s both healthy and well-balanced. And I hope you enjoy them as much as we do!
Ingredients You’ll Need
In this recipe, chickpeas are mixed with tamari, spices and hot sauce, creating a buffalo style sauce, then warmed and made into vegan tacos with a variety of fresh toppings and vegan crema.
Here is everything you will need, plus ingredient substitutes as noted:
- chickpeas – canned or fresh cooked (like this Instant Pot Chickpeas)
- red cabbage – adds color and texture, can also sub with green cabbage
- green onion – sub with diced red onion
- corn tortillas – flour tortillas are great too
- vegan crema – Cashew Hatch Chile Dressing or Cilantro-Lime Sour Cream
- lime wedges
- garlic + onion powder
- paprika – use regular or smoked
- hot sauce – use your favorite (sriracha, Franks, Tapatio, etc.)
How To Make Chickpea Tacos
(Note – The full printable recipe is at the bottom of this post)
- Start by making the buffalo chickpeas. In a small pot, combine the chickpeas, garlic + onion powder, cumin, paprika, tamari and as much hot sauce to suit your taste. Warm over medium heat until warmed through. Alternatively, warm the chickpeas in the microwave, using a microwave safe bowl, for 45 – 60 seconds.
- Assemble the tacos: Warm the tortillas, layer with buffalo chickpeas, avocado, cabbage, green onions, and drizzle of vegan crema.
And that’s it!
Now you have yourself a delicious quick and easy meal, perfect for a light lunch or dinner!
Turn your tacos into a well rounded meal with a little something extra on the side. Here are just a few of our favorite options:
- Salad: Serve with a small portion of this leafy green filled Southwestern Salad.
- Side: Pair with a side of Black Bean, Corn & Avocado Salad, Cilantro Lime Rice, or Refried Bean.
- Soup: Serve with a bowl of Vegan Pozole (Posole Verde) or Tex-Mex Quinoa Vegetable Soup.
- Toppings: Try adding a drizzle of this Sriracha Cashew Cream in place of the ones mentioned above.
More Easy Chickpea Recipes
- Sonoma Chickpea ‘Chicken’ Salad
- Chickpea Tikka Masala
- Herbed Potato, Asparagus + Chickpea Sheet Pan Dinner
- Homemade Hummus
- Hearty Chickpea Noodle Soup
- See all vegan Chickpea recipes on TSV!
If you try this chickpea taco recipe, please let me know! Leave a comment and rate it below. I love to hear what you think, or any changes you make.Print
CHICKPEA TACOS (QUICK + EASY)
Buffalo Chickpea Tacos are a quick, easy and delicious meal ready in 20 minutes! Vegan, gluten-free and WFPB recipe.
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Total Time: 20 min
- Yield: Serves 3 1x
- Category: Entree
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: Tex-Mex
- Diet: Vegan
- 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas (garbanzo beans) or 1 can (15oz.), drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika (regular or smoked)
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 – 2 tablespoons hot sauce (sriracha, Franks, Tapatio, etc.), or to taste
- 6 corn tortillas, warmed
- 1/2 avocado, sliced
- 1/4 head cabbage (red or green), shredded
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- vegan sour cream (Creamy Hatch Chile Dressing, Cilantro-Lime Sour Cream, or Sriracha Cashew Cream)
- lime wedges, to serve
Spiced Chickpeas: In a small pan, combine the chickpeas, garlic + onion powder, cumin, paprika, tamari, and as much hot sauce to suit your taste. Warm chickpea mixture over medium heat until warmed through. Alternatively, warm the chickpeas in the microwave, using a microwave safe bowl, for 45 – 60 seconds.
Warm the tortillas: I do this carefully on the stove top over an open flame to give it some charring on the edges. Stack them on top of each other to keep them warm, you can also place them in a tortilla warmer.
Assemble: Layer each tortilla with buffalo chickpeas, avocado, cabbage, green onions, cilantro, and drizzle of vegan crema.
Serves 3, two tacos per serving
Store: Leftover chickpea mixture can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 – 6 days, in a covered container.
Roasted chickpeas: If you prefer crunchy, roasted chickpeas, roast them first. To roast chickpeas, toss them in the spices, place on a baking sheet in a single layer and roast for 30 – 40 minutes in preheated oven set to 400 degrees F.
Nutritional values are estimates only. See our full nutrition disclosure here.
Updated: Chickpea Tacos was originally published in May 2014. It has been retested and updated with new photos and helpful tips in September 2020. The recipe has been changed and ramped up with lot’s of flavor.