Smoky Chipotle Maple Tofu Sandwich (aka TLT sandwich) with marinated tofu, avocado, lettuce, tomato and sauteed onions is a delicious and hearty vegan sandwich that all types of eater will love!
This vegan tofu sandwich, aka TLT sandwich, is reminiscent of a BLT. It’s hearty, flavorful and so much better, using marinated and pan seared tofu instead of bacon.
I had the pleasure of having this for lunch today and it was absolutely delicious in every way! Plus, it’s filling, healthy and easy to make.
There are a few parts to making this sandwich, but it’s worth the extra steps and moves along easily.
With just a handful of ingredients, most you may already have on hand, you’ll be wrapping your hands around this in about one hour.
Smoky Chipotle TLT Sandwich
I’ve had my eye on this recipe from I Love Vegan for a while and finally got around to putting it together. And let me tell you, it did not disappoint!
My only changes were replacing smoked paprika for liquid smoke and adding chipotle powder. Also, I used a bit more of each ingredient for the marinade so there’s a little extra for the pan fried tofu.
I especially LOVE the caramelized onions, and the tomato will lend some nice juices into the mix. For my condiments, I used mashed avocado and dijon, but vegan mayo is great too.
This easy TLT Tofu Sandwich is a great addition to the recipe collection and will leave your home smelling delicious!
How To Make A Tofu Sandwich
- Marinate and pan fry the tofu.
- Saute the onions.
- Toast your bread or leave as is.
- Spread one slice of bread with mustard and the other with mashed avocado.
- Add your leafy greens and tofu slices.
- Top with grilled onions and tomato.
- Place the remaining slice of bread on top and slice in half.
Pairs great with fresh fruit such as grapes and sliced apples!
More Easy Vegan Sandwich Recipes
- Toasted Avocado-Tofu Sandwich + Sauteed Onions
- Hummus Vegetable Sandwich
- Chickpea ‘Egg’ Salad Sandwich
- Grilled Hummus Sandwich + Tomato, Sauteed Onions + Arugula
- Cranberry Walnut Vegan ‘Chicken’ Salad
- See all Sandwich & Wrap recipes on TSV!
If you try this tofu sandwich recipe, please let us know! Leave a comment and rate it below. I love to hear what you think, or any changes you make.Print
SMOKY CHIPOTLE TOFU SANDWICH (TLT)
This Tofu sandwich (TLT) is a delicious vegan version of a BLT, you won’t miss a thing with this spicy, smoky flavored sandwich!
- Prep Time: 30
- Cook Time: 10 min
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: Makes 3 Sandwiches 1x
- Category: Entree
- Method: pan sear, saute
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegan
- 1 block (15 oz) organic tofu, firm or extra firm
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 medium tomato, sliced thin
- Dijon or stone ground mustard, to spread (Vegan Mayo is great too)
- 1 1/2 small avocados, mashed, to spread
- a few leaves of your favorite leafy greens (red or green leaf, romaine, iceberg, etc)
- salt, to taste
- 6 slices bread of choice
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon tamari, coconut aminos or soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle powder, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
Cut Tofu: Remove tofu from the package. Turn tofu on its side and slice in thirds, creating 3 large slabs. Gently press each slab between a clean dish towel or paper towels to remove some of the excess water. Cut the slabs in half. You should have six pieces that look like large domino (rectangular) shapes.
Marinade Tofu: In a medium sized shallow dish, mix together the marinade. Place tofu in the dish and let soak for about 30 minutes – 1 hour turning carefully once or twice in between.
Saute Onions: Once the hour is almost up, caramelize your onions using 1 tablespoon oil. Heat oil over medium heat, add onions, turn down heat to medium low, stir often and cook until they start to brown and caramelize. May take 10 to 15 minutes or so. Once done, set aside.
Cook Tofu: In same skillet, heat remaining oil and cook tofu over medium high heat. Once tofu has browned, about 5 minutes, gently flip and brown the other side. It’s ok if it gets a little crispy too! If you feel it is drying out too much, add some of the juices from the bowl it marinated in for extra moisture. When done, remove from heat.
Build Sandwich: Toast your bread. Spread one side of toast with mustard and the other with a layer of mashed avocado, about 1/2 avocado. Over the avocado, layer your lettuce, tofu, onions and tomato. Top with your other slice of bread.
Updated: TLT Tofu Sandwich was originally published in December 2012. It has been retested and updated with new photos in July 2020.