EASY THREE BEAN CHILI
This quick and easy Three Bean Chili recipe is warm, cozy and ready in 30 minutes. It’s a hearty vegan chili and perfect for a healthy lunch, dinner or meal prep idea!
I love a good chili, a few of my favorites include this Quinoa Chili Verde, Butternut Squash Chili, Easy Vegetable Chili and this hearty Ultimate Tempeh Chili.
A good chili recipe is a must and this vegan Three Bean Chili is loaded with flavor, protein and fiber. Plus, it’s easy to put together and ready in about 30 minutes!
When the chilly weather sets in, cozy up with a bowl of this flavorful and hearty chili!
Ingredients You’ll Need
In this recipe we’ll simmer together onion, garlic, jalapeno, 3 types of beans, tomatoes, chili powder, chipotle powder and a bit of cocoa creating a delicious, warm and hearty lunch or dinner.
- The Beans. This chili recipe calls for a mix of kidney beans, black beans and pinto beans, but of course use your preferred combination of beans or whatever you have on hand.
- Aromatics. You’ll start the chili with onion and garlic, and jalapeno for a little heat.
- The Spices. This 3-Bean Chili is loaded with spices. I find it’s pretty much a perfect combination of chili powder and chipotle powder. Feel free to adjust the amounts to suit your taste.
- Liquids. Use either water or vegetable broth. For the most flavor, use veggie broth.
- My Favorite Secret Ingredient. Adding a little bit of cocoa gives depth. Do use the darkest chocolate you can, 70% and above. It’s super delicious and I always try to add a bit to all of my chili recipes.
How To Make Three Bean Chili
- Saute: In large pot heat olive oil over medium heat, saute onion for 5 – 7 minutes, or until tender and translucent. Add the garlic, jalapeno, chili and chipotle powder, cook for 1 minute, or until fragrant.
- Simmer: Add the beans, tomatoes, chocolate, and liquids, bring to boil, reduce heat, cover askew, and simmer for 15 – 20 minutes or so, stirring occasionally. Add more water as needed. Taste for flavor, season with salt and pepper, and add anything else you feel it needs.
Now all you have to do is enjoy!
It’s great served with a sliced green onions, a dollop of vegan sour cream, a squeeze of lime.
I love pairing my chili with this vegan Sweet Chia Cornbread or Jalapeno Cornbread Muffins. Break up the cornbread and add to the chili, it’s the perfect compliment of spicy chili with sweet cornbread. There’s just something about this combination that takes chili over the top, making it a perfect meal!
How Long Will Leftovers Keep?
Leftovers will keep for 5 – 6 days in the refrigerator, stored in a covered container. Re-warm on the stovetop or the microwave. It makes a great meal prep for the week with vegan cornbread on the side.
Can You Freeze Chili?
Yes, it freezes wonderfully for up to 2 – 3 months! My favorite ways to freeze chili is in individual portion sizes using freezer safe containers. Then when I want to cozy up with a bowl of warm chili I can just pull it from the freezer and warm it up. You can also freeze larger portions in large ziplock bags or containers.
More Recipes You’ll Love!
- Sweet Potato + Black Bean Chili
- Chili Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- Vegan Minestrone Soup
- Cajun Red Beans and Rice
- Sweet Potato & Quinoa Chili
- West African Peanut Stew
- Easy Vegetable Chili
- The Ultimate Tempeh Chili
If you try this easy vegan chili recipe, please let me know! Leave a comment and rate it below. I love to hear what you think, or any changes you make.Print
EASY THREE BEAN CHILI RECIPE (VEGAN)
This quick and easy 3 bean chili is perfect when you want a cozy warm vegan chili in 30 minutes or less! Healthy, hearty and perfect for lunch, dinner or meal prep ideas.
- Prep Time: 5 min
- Cook Time: 25 min
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: Serves 4
- Category: Entree, Chili
- Method: Simmer
- Cuisine: Vegan, American
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or 1/4 cup water (for water saute)
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (or 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder)
- 2 jalapenos, seeds removed and diced (a few seeds ok for extra heat)
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1 can (15 oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15 oz) kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15 oz) pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (28oz) diced tomatoes, with juices
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder or small piece of dark chocolate (about 1/2 oz.), optional
- 1 1/2 cups water or vegetable broth, + more if needed
- mineral salt & pepper, to taste
- green onions, sliced
- cashew sour cream
- lime wedges
Saute: In large pot heat olive oil over medium heat, saute onion for 7 minutes, or until tender and translucent. Add the garlic, jalapeno, chili and chipotle powder, cook for 1 minute, or until fragrant.
Simmer: Add the beans, tomatoes, chocolate, and liquids, bring to boil, reduce heat, cover askew, and simmer for 15 – 20 minutes or so, stirring occasionally. Add more water as needed. Taste for flavor, season with salt and pepper, and add anything else you feel it needs.
Serve with the sliced green onions, cashew sour cream and vegan sweet chia cornbread or jalapeno cornbread muffins.
Store: Leftovers can be kept, covered, in the refrigerator for 5 – 6 days. To keep longer, freeze in freezer safe containers for up to 2 – 3 months.
Mix and match your beans to whatever you like or have on hand.
Add veggies if you like such as chopped celery, carrots, bell peppers, corn, etc…delicious! Adding more vegetables will make this go further giving about 5 servings.
UPDATED: This 3 Bean Chili was originally posted in August 2012, and has been updated with new photos and helpful tips in September 2019.
FOLLOW TSV on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest or RSS for more healthy & delicious vegan food!
Can you make this in an instapot? Will always do the stove but right on time tonight
Yes, this Three Bean Chili recipe can be made in an Instant Pot. You can saute the onion and garlic using the saute function. Then add the remaining ingredients to the pot, and cook on HIGH pressure for 3 minutes. Let natural release for 15 minutes. Or you can skip the saute, adding everything to the pot and cooking as directed. Do let us know how it goes! Enjoy!
Hi this looks delish!! wanted to
Make a big batch and freeze this for future meals. Any chance this would work for in slow cooker? As a don’t have a big enough pot.
Yes, you can make this three-bean chili recipe in a slow cooker. Simply add everything to the pot, give a good stir, and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours or HIGH for 3-4. Enjoy!
This chili is AMAZING. Will definitely make over and over again!! I added a bell pepper otherwise stuck to the recipe.
This is soooo good! I’ve made it several times now and have recently printed it to add to my “stuck in the house with no internet” binder that all of my favorite recipes reside…just in case I can’t get to Pinterest. 😊. I’m surrounded by meat eaters and it’s a requested dish!