The BEST Roasted Cauliflower ‘Steak’ recipe ever! It’s super easy to make, roasts up tender with caramelized edges and full of cajun flavor.
Vegan cauliflower ‘steaks’ with blackened seasoning and roasted in the oven are my new favorite thing ever!
Why are they so great you may ask?
- The cauliflower is cut into thick slices and roasts up tender with crispy edges.
- It’s an easy plant-based meal ready in 30 minutes.
- They’re made with plant-based whole foods for a healthy meal.
- It’s full of intensely delicious flavor thanks to the cajun seasoning!
Once roasted, cauliflower takes on a whole new flavor and texture that I never seem to tire of. It’s some of the best stuff on earth!
And don’t forget your steak knife, as it will come in handy for your cauliflower steaks!
What to serve with cauliflower steaks? I love the simplicity of roasted tomatoes and quinoa. This Savory Sauteed Kale or Vegan Collard Greens would be great too! And how about a good mac & cheese like this Baked Vegan Mac & Cheese or Vegan Mac & Cheese with Peas.
How To Cut Cauliflower Steaks
- Remove the inedible leaves from the sides.
- Place the cauliflower stem side down, using a sharp knife cut the cauliflower in half down the center.
- Cut 3/4 – 1 inch thick slices, depending on the size of your cauliflower, you may get 2 – 4 steaks per head.
- Remaining pieces can be cut into nuggets and roasted alongside the steaks, or on a separate baking sheet.
It’s best to use two baking sheets to prepare your cauliflower steaks. Using two will give you plenty of room for the steak slices to be turned over without too much crowding.
Blackened Cauliflower Steaks Seasoning
Feel free to use an already prepared seasoning. There are many good blends in the spice isle these days. I would suggest looking for salt free blends if possible and adding your own salt to taste. Look for creole, cajun, blackening types of seasonings. It is also very easy to make your own so I have included a homemade version for those who prefer to prepare their own spice blends. Something for everyone, that’s a win, win!
How To Roast Cauliflower Steaks
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- On a prepared rimmed baking sheet, carefully place the cauliflower steaks along with any broken florets, or place the florets on a separate baking sheet.
- Brush the steaks and nuggets gently with oil. Sprinkle as much seasoning as you wish to coat on steaks and florets.
- Roast in the oven for 15 minutes, gently flip steaks and stir florets, season again and bake for an additional 15 minutes. If using two baking sheets, place sheets on separate racks or side by side, depending on the size.
And there you have it, roasted cauliflower steaks made deliciously healthy and easy!
Serve your cauliflower steaks with veggies, a grain, salad or soup for a hearty main meal. Here are a few of my favorite options:
- Veggies: Since the cauliflower steak is the center of attention here, with most of the flavor in the blackened seasoning, I paired mine with a simple combination of roasted grape tomatoes cooked along with the cauliflower. This Savory Sauteed Kale, Vegan Collard Greens or Skillet Asparagus + Tomato Medley would be great too!
- Grain: Serve with quinoa for fiber and protein, white rice, brown rice or hearty farro.
- Salad: Serve with this simple Green Salad + Lemon Tahini Dressing, Black Bean, Roasted Corn & Tomato Salad or Vegan Macaroni Salad.
- Soup: Pair with a side of Asparagus + Red Lentil Soup, Broccoli + Red Lentil Soup, or Rustic Cabbage, Potato + White Bean Soup.
- Pasta: Serve with Creamy Broccoli Pasta, Vegan Baked Mac & Cheese or Easy Vegan Mac & Cheese with Peas.
More Cauliflower Inspiration
Cauliflower is so versatile and can be used in a variety of ways. Take a look at these other cauliflower recipes, you just may find a new favorite!
- Mango & Avocado Cauliflower Rice Sushi Rolls
- Roasted Cauliflower & Sweet Potato Nourish Bowl
- High Protein Cauliflower Alfredo Sauce
- See all Cauliflower recipes on TSV!
If you try this roasted cauliflower steaks recipe, please let me know! Leave a comment and rate it below. I love to hear what you think, or any changes you make.Print
BLACKENED ROASTED CAULIFLOWER ‘STEAKS’
Cauliflower steaks are an easy to make entree that is oven roasted with a flavorful cajun seasoning. Great paired with a grain of choice and simple veggies on the side.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: Serves 3 1x
- Category: Entree, Side
- Method: oven, roast
- Cuisine: Vegan, Gluten Free
- 1 – 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large head cauliflower
- blackened, creole or cajun seasoning of choice (recipe for homemade below)
- 1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes
- chopped fresh parsley, to serve
- lemon wedges, to garnish
- grain of choice – quinoa, brown rice or farro
- himalayan salt, to taste
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
Prep the Cauliflower: Place the cauliflower stem side down, and using a sharp knife cut into the top center and slice the cauliflower in half. You want to create as many cauliflower steaks as you can from the center cut out that will be at least 3/4 inch thick. The remaining sides and pieces can be cut into cauliflower nuggets and roasted alongside the steaks, or on a separate baking sheet. I feel it’s best to use two baking sheets to prepare this meal. Using two will give you plenty of room for the steak slices to be turned over without too much crowding.
Roasting: Grease your baking sheet/s and carefully place your cauliflower steaks along with the broken florets, or place the florets on a separate baking sheet. Using an small brush, gently brush the ‘steaks’ and florets with oil. Sprinkle as much seasoning as you wish to coat on ‘steaks’ and florets. Add your tomatoes to the baking sheet, you can coat these with oil too and add a sprinkle of sea salt.
Place your baking sheet into the oven, if using two, place sheets on separate racks or side by side, depending on the size. Bake for 15 minutes, gently flip ‘steaks’ and stir florets, season again and bake for an additional 15 minutes.
Serve immediately with roasted tomatoes, grain of choice, sprinkle of chopped parsley and lemon wedges.
Store: Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for 4 days, in a covered container.
Making your own seasoning is so easy. If you have all the ingredients already hand, I especially recommend you make your own using an old spice jar or small container of choice.
- 3 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons sea salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
Place ingredients into small jar or container and blend well. Store leftovers in the pantry for later use. Makes just under 2/3 cups.
Nutritional information includes tomatoes and 1/2 cup of quinoa.