This Black Bean, Corn & Avocado Salad with tomatoes, jalapeno and tangy vinaigrette is easy to make and full of texture and flavor! It’s simple, everyday food that is healthy and delicious!
Why We Love This Recipe!
Sweet corn, protein-rich black beans tossed with juicy tomatoes, creamy avocado, jalapeno, and simple citrus dressing are bursting with flavor and a perfect summery salad everyone will love. I could literally eat this every single day!
This is a great switch up from this Sweet Corn + Arugula Salad or Texas Caviar, both of which are delicious! It’s nice to have variety, and this Black Bean and Corn Salad is a perfect fit for the TSV recipe collection.
Pair this salad with tortilla chips, top it on a bed of leafy greens, or serve it alongside burgers and sandwiches. It stores and travels well, making it perfect for picnics, potluck, or anywhere you need a versatile, colorful and delicious side dish.
This easy black bean, corn & avocado salad recipe is made using simple ingredients that come together, creating a wonderful mix of textures and flavors.
Here is everything you will need:
- black beans – canned or fresh cooked (feel free to use different beans if needed)
- corn – fresh, canned or frozen all work great (if using corn on the cob, grilling it first will add wonderful flavor)
- grape tomatoes – roma tomatoes are great too
- jalapeno – optionally leave a few seeds for added heat
- red onion – any color will do, use your favorite
- avocado – make sure it’s firm, but ripe
- olive oil – feel free to omit
- lime – use a little extra if omitting the oil
- apple cider vinegar – adds a nice brightness, but can omit
- garlic – fresh is best, but ½ – 1 teaspoon of garlic powder works too
- cumin + chili powder
- salt – to taste
How To Make Black Bean, Corn & Avocado Salad
(Note – The full printable recipe is at the bottom of this post)
- Make the dressing. In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lime juice, apple cider vinegar, garlic, cumin, chili powder, and pinch of salt.
- Prep the veggies.
- Assemble the salad. In a large serving bowl, add the black beans, corn, tomatoes, jalapeno, red onion, avocado, and cilantro.
- Add dressing. Pour the dressing overtop and toss well to coat. Taste for seasoning.
And there you have it – simple, colorful and so delicious!
- Use roasted corn. Roast the corn for a delicious roasted flavor. Or char it over a gas burner without the husk.
- Keep the ingredients uniform. Be sure to finely dice the onion, jalapeno, avocado, and tomatoes to keep it nicely uniform.
- Easily scalable. Recipe can easily be halved or doubled!
- Make it your own. Feel free to change up the produce and omit anything you don’t care for, it’ll still be delicious! You may even like to add a finely diced bell pepper or change up the beans.
How To Store Leftovers
- Refrigerator: Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 4 days in a covered container.
- Freezer: I don’t recommend freezing, it is best eaten fresh or within a few days.
- Make ahead: This salad can easily be made a few hours ahead and stored in the refrigerator until ready to serve. The lime juice will keep the avocado from turning brown. If storing longer, you may consider tossing in the avocado just before serving.
How To Serve Black Bean & Corn Salad
- Dip: Serve as a dip with tortilla chips.
- Grain: Add a grain such as rice, farro or quinoa to bulk it up and make it even more filling.
- Salad: Turn it into a light lunch or dinner with fresh, crips leafy greens as shown below. It’s absolutely delicious with a dollop of Cashew Sour Cream and squeeze of lime.
- Tacos: It’s a great side to these Vegan Street Tacos!
Adjusting For Dietary Restrictions
- Oil-free: Omit the oil, adding a little extra lime juice.
- Low-fat: Omit the avocado to reduce the fat content. Optionally, you can omit the oil as well.
- Nightshade free: Omit the tomatoes and jalapeno.
More Black Bean Recipes!
- Quick + Easy Black Bean Tacos
- Instant Pot Black Beans
- Smoky Black Bean Burgers
- Black Bean Fajitas
- Black Bean + Quinoa Vegan Freezer Burritos
- See all vegan Black Bean recipes on TSV!
If you try this easy salad recipe or have a question, please let me know! Leave a comment and rate it below. I love to hear what you think, or any changes you make.Print
Black Bean, Corn & Avocado Salad
This colorful Black Bean & Corn Salad with avocado, tomatoes and tangy vinaigrette is full of flavor, easy to make, and ready in minutes. It’s perfect as a side dish or can be made into a main meal with crisp leafy greens.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: serves 6 – 8 1x
- Category: Side, Entree
- Method: mix
- Cuisine: Tex-Mex
- Diet: Vegan
- 2 cans (14 oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 ears of corn, cut off the cobs (about 1 ½ cups), sub with canned or frozen
- 1 dry pint grape tomatoes (or about 1 ½ cups), quartered
- 1 large jalapeno, finely diced and most seeds removed
- ½ small red onion, finely diced
- 1 avocado (firm, but ripe), finely diced
- ½ cup chopped cilantro, loosely packed
- 2 – 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large juicy lime (about 2 tablespoons), juice of
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar, optional
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon cumin + chili powder
- salt, to taste
Dressing: In a small bowl, whisk together the oil, lime juice, apple cider vinegar, garlic, cumin, chili powder, and pinch of salt. Set aside.
Assemble: In a large mixing bowl, add the black beans, corn, tomatoes, jalapeno, red onion, avocado, and cilantro. Pour the dressing overtop and toss well to coat. Taste for seasoning.
Serve chilled or at room temperature.
Serves 6 – 8
Store: Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 4 days in a covered container.
Oil-free: Omit the oil, adding a little extra lime juice.
Low-fat: Omit the avocado to reduce the fat content. Optionally, you can omit the oil as well.
Make ahead: This salad can easily be made a few hours ahead and stored in the refrigerator until ready to serve. The lime juice will keep the avocado from turning brown. If storing longer, you may consider tossing in the avocado just before serving.
Make a leafy green salad:
Updated: Black Bean & Corn Salad recipe originally published July 2012 and has been updated May 2020 with new photos and helpful tips.