It’s mashed. It’s creamy. It’s another delicious mashed chickpea salad to add to the recipe collection!
I love my mashed chickpea salads! So much so, that there are 6 variations on the blog, each one as delicious as the next…
- Mashed Chickpea Salad
- Cranberry Walnut Chickpea Salad
- Sonoma Chickpea Salad
- ‘Chickpea of the Sea’ Salad
- Curried Chickpea Salad
- Mashed Chickpea & Avocado Sandwich
They each have their special place in my heart. I’m super excited to bring another one to the mix as they are so versatile and satisfying. Let’s get started!
This version is Mediterranean inspired, with ingredients like red bell pepper, red onion, artichoke hearts, Kalamata olives, fresh dill, a bit of lemon and a simple creamy hummus dressing to bring it all together.
How To Make Mediterranean Mashed Chickpea Salad
It’s quick and easy, and will be ready in minutes!
Prep the veggies, and roughly mash about 3/4 of the chickpeas, leaving a few whole (shown above).
Add the hummus dressing (or vegan mayo), lemon juice, dill, garlic powder, mineral salt & pepper (shown above), and give a good mix (shown below).
And YUM – a creamy, delicious chickpea salad that I think you’re going to love!
How To Serve Mediterranean Mashed Chickpea Salad
For lighter fare:
- Lettuce wraps are cool and refreshing. Top with sliced cherry tomatoes and julienned cucumbers.
- Make a salad, adding a serving on top of a bed of leafy greens, along with tomatoes, cucumber slices and a squeeze of lemon.
- For a snack, picnic or potluck – serve as a dip, scooping it up with crackers, or sliced cucumbers and red bell peppers.
- Would also be great in these Stuffed Avocados!
And for a heartier meal:
- This chickpea salad makes a completely delicious sandwich filler, like this Mashed Chickpea Salad Sandwich. To keep in line with this variation, I suggest sliced tomatoes and cucumbers, along with a layer of hummus on the bread – or mashed avocado would be great too. Using slices of olive bread would be amazing as well!
When searching for lunch, dinner, make ahead meals, and healthy snack ideas, keep this chickpea salad in mind!
More Mediterranean Inspired Recipes
If you love the flavors of the mediterranean, try these other easy recipes. From pizza to flatbread and salads, each are flavorful and delicious!
If you try this recipe, please let us know! Leave a comment and rate it below. I love to hear what you think, or any changes you make.
If you haven’t done so yet, be sure to sign up for the free Newsletter or RSS where you’ll get the newest recipes, tips, and other tasty updates directly to your inbox. Or catch me on Instagram, Pinterest or Facebook.
MEDITERRANEAN MASHED CHICKPEA SALAD
A flavorful mix of mashed chickpeas, red bell pepper, artichokes, kalamata olives with a simple hummus dressing. Great sandwich and lettuce wrap filler! Ready in minutes!
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Total Time: 15 min
- Yield: Serves 6
- Category: Side, Salad
- Cuisine: Vegan
- 1/2 cup hummus + 3 – 6 tablespoons water to thin (see notes)
- 2 cans (14 oz) chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
- 1 small red bell pepper, cored and diced
- 1/3 medium red onion, diced
- 1/3 cup artichoke hearts, diced
- 1/3 cup kalamata olives, chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh dill, chopped or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- mineral salt & fresh cracked pepper, to taste
- juice of 1 lemon
In a small mixing bowl, add the hummus and water, mix well, set aside. If mixture is too thin, add more hummus. If mixture is too thick, add more water. Consistency should be creamy, not too thick, not too thin. Use your best judgement.
In a large mixing bowl, add the chickpeas. Using the back of a fork, or potato masher, roughly mash about 3/4 of the chickpeas, leaving some whole.
Add in the remaining ingredients and mix well to combine.
Serve chilled or at room temperature. Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to a week in an air tight container.
Use this chickpea salad in lettuce wraps, on a bed of leafy greens with sliced cucumbers and tomatoes, scoop up with crackers of vegetables, or use as an amazing sandwich filler. A few peperoncini’s on the side would be great too!
Hummus can come in different blends and consistencies. Some are thicker than others. Start by adding the lower amount of water, adding more as needed to thin. For variation, garlic hummus would be great here!
If you don’t want to use hummus, vegan mayo will work too, use about 2/3 – 1 cup, starting with the smaller amount first. Alternately, tahini will work as well, use 1/2 cup tahini + 4 – 6 tablespoons water, adding more water as needed.