Vegan applesauce waffles made with simple ingredients, many you may already have on hand, are healthy, easy and perfect topped with Healthy Skillet Cinnamon Apples and pure maple syrup!
Over the last month or so, I’ve used up 2 bottles of cinnamon and too many apples to count. We’ve made classic Applesauce, Cranberry Applesauce, Applesauce Bread, Apple Coleslaw, Cinnamon Oatmeal, Apple Cranberry Crisp and Favorite Cranberry Orange Bread, all of which use apples and/or cinnamon. It’s been a tasty few months and all these delicious recipes are waiting to be bookmarked and made!
So here I am finishing off the last bottle of cinnamon with these healthy, easy and delicious applesauce waffles. They’re kid friendly, mother approved, and the whole family will love them!
Best Applesauce Waffles
Ingredient Tips and Variations:
- Applesauce: Use unsweetened applesauce if possible to keep sugars to a minimum. You can make your own applesauce, or use store bought, organic preferred. I like to keep a few single serve applesauce cups on hand too, they equal 1/2 cup and are a perfect size for recipes like these applesauce waffles.
- Flour: I’ve used spelt flour here, but white whole wheat or all-purpose if great too. To make these gluten-free, use your favorite all-purpose flour blend.
- Oil/Butter: I used Miyokos butter (which is absolutely amazing). Oil works too, use your favorite oil. If using coconut oil, just be sure it’s in liquid state and all other liquids are at room temp so it doesn’t chill and harden.
- Milk: I always tend to use unsweetened vanilla almond milk when baking, but use your favorite non-dairy milk. If you don’t have vanilla flavored milk, you may like to add an extra teaspoon of vanilla extract.
- Spices: Cinnamon is the perfect warm spice for these applesauce waffles and the vanilla is another wonderful flavor added here. To change up the flavor profile, try adding a pinch of nutmeg or allspice.
Can I make these waffles oil free? Yes! You can replace the oil with unsweetened applesauce for oil free waffles! Just be sure your waffle maker is non-stick.
How To Make Applesauce Waffles
Applesauce waffles are so easy to make!
- Simply preheat your waffle iron.
- Mix the flour, cinnamon, baking powder and salt, add in the milk, applesauce, butter/oil, and vanilla, and mix to combine.
- Using a 1/2 cup measuring cup, scoop up the batter and pour onto the center of the waffle iron, close lid and wait for the light to turn green. Repeat until batter is gone, makes about 4 waffles.
- Keep waffles warm in a preheated oven.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to a week, or freeze for up to 2 months. To reheat, simply pop them in the toaster over and enjoy!
That’s it, healthy, easy, delicious applesauce waffles ready for the table in about 20 – 25 minutes or freeze for later!
What To Serve With Applesauce Waffles
In the cooler seasons, top your applesauce waffles with these warm Skillet Cinnamon Apples or this Blueberry Compote. In the warmer seasons, add your favorite fresh berries or sliced bananas for a heart healthy breakfast. And for a boost of protein, add a sprinkle of nuts or seeds – pecans, walnuts, pumpkin seeds and hemp hearts would all be great!
More Vegan Waffle Inspiration!
Not only are waffles an easy breakfast/brunch meal idea, but they’re great for a light lunch or dinner too. Try these other vegan waffles to keep it varied and different, you just may find a new favorite waffle recipe for the meal rotation!
If you try this easy waffle recipe, please let me know! Leave a comment and rate it below. I love to hear what you think, or any changes you make.
BEST APPLESAUCE WAFFLES
Warm and delicious homemade applesauce waffles, made with simple ingredients and perfect for a healthy breakfast the whole family with love!
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 15
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: Makes 4 waffles 1x
- Category: Breakfast, Brunch, Entree
- Cuisine: Vegan
- 1 1/2 cup (210g) white whole wheat or spelt flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch of mineral salt
- 1 1/4 cup (281ml) unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1/2 cup (113ml) unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup (56g) non-dairy butter/margarine or oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Preheat waffle maker according to manufacturers instructions. Also, preheat oven to 200 degrees F., for keeping the waffles warm.
In a medium sized mixing bowl, combine the flour, cinnamon, baking powder and salt, mix well. Add in the non-dairy milk, applesauce, butter/oil, and vanilla, mix well, until most of the flour lumps are gone.
If using this Cuisinart waffle maker, or one similar, using a 1/2 measuring cup, scoop up batter and pour in the center of the heated waffle maker plate. Close the cover and wait until the light turns green.
Gently remove and place waffles on a wire rack in the preheated oven until the remaining waffles are made.
Serve your waffles with warm Healthy Skillet Cinnamon Apples and pure maple syrup. Would also be great with this easy homemade Blueberry Compote. In the summer months, top with fresh fruit like sliced banana, strawberries, or other fresh berries.
Store leftover waffles in the refrigerator for up to a week, or store in the freezer for up to 1- 2 months. When ready to eat, pop them in the toaster oven.
Make these gluten-free by using all-purpose gluten-free flour.
To make oil-free waffles, replace the oil with applesauce and use a non-stick waffle maker.