Crispy Baked Kale Chips – Easy to make and customize with a variety of seasonings (spices and herbs), these healthy homemade chips made from kale bake up crispy and utterly delicious!
I don’t about you, but crispy kale chips baked to perfection are one of my favorite ways to eat kale!
Why We Love This Recipe!
- Healthy and nutritious. These light and crispy chips made from kale are loaded with essential vitamins and minerals. See the nutrition info below!
- Easy and delicious. They are easy to prepare and bake up within 10 minutes. I can easily sit and eat a whole batch of kale chips at one time!
- Budget-friendly. Bundles of fresh kale come reasonably priced, typically between $1 and $2. That’s a great price for this nutritionally packed leafy green, making it an affordable, healthy snack!
Having healthy snacks on hand is always a plus. Here are a few more favorites:
- Crispy Baked Potato Chips
- Healthy Granola
- Peanut Butter + Cacao Nib Rice Crispy Treats
- Almost Everything Trail Mix
They all make for great snacks to have around the house or take on the go!
Now, bring on the kale and let’s get baking!
Types Of Kale To Use
When making kale chips, all varieties will work, so choose your favorite type. For this recipe, I used curly kale. You can also use the more flat-leaf kale, known as – lacinato, tuscan, dinosaur kale, cavolo nero, and black kale. I’ve played around using both curly and flat kale. Both types make for light & crispy baked kale chips.
Add flavor to your kale chips with different seasonings. Here are a few ideas to get you started.
- For the batch shown here, I’ve used za’atar, garlic powder, mineral salt, and pepper.
- Looking for spicy, try using a dash of cayenne pepper or chipotle and pink salt.
- A garlic sea salt blend would be great.
- The simplicity of just salt & pepper is fantastic too.
- Add a sprinkle of nutritional yeast for a ‘cheezy’ flavor.
- For a sweet & salty flavor, try brown sugar and mineral salt.
Have fun and be creative!
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Kale – Use curly or flat variety.
- Olive oil – Feel free to substitute with your favorite neutral-flavored oil.
- Salt – We love pink Himalayan salt or regular sea salt. You can include any of your favorite optional seasonings.
How To Make Crispy Baked Kale Chips
Making kale chips is easy as can be!
- Start by washing and drying the kale stalks.
- Remove the hard center stem, and tear the kale leaves into 1 or 2-inch pieces (shown above).
- Add kale to a large mixing bowl. Massage with olive oil and toss with seasonings of choice (shown above).
- Lay your freshly tossed kale chips on a baking sheet (shown below) and bake for about 10 minutes, keeping an eye on them after 6 minutes to keep them from being overbaked.
And that’s it – now you have yourself a healthy snack!
Get ready to devour the whole batch because you can’t eat just one, two, or three!
How To Store Kale Chips
Homemade kale chips can be stored in an airtight container for up to 5 – 6 days.
Serve as a snack, or use them crumbled up as toppings. They can also be served as a side to another main dish. Here are a few of my favorite options:
- Soup Toppings: Crumble a few kale chips and add them as toppers to creamy soups like this Vegan Cauliflower Soup, Tomato Basil Soup or Potato Leek Soup for texture.
- Sandwich: Serve with Favorite Vegetable Sandwich, Vegan Tuna Sandwich, or Grilled Hummus Sandwich with Grilled Onions, Tomato and Arugula.
- Salads: Add a few for crunch to this Vegan Caesar Salad or simple Green Salad + Lemon Tahini Dressing.
More Ways To Use Kale
Kale is the powerhouse of the leafy greens. Here are a few great kale recipes to add to the meal rotation. You just may find a new favorite!
- Kale, Quinoa & White Bean Soup
- Curry Red Lentil Stew with Kale & Chickpeas
- Kale & Quinoa Salad
- Crunchy Kale Salad + Citrus Dressing
- Kale & Quinoa Burrito Bowl
- or see all Kale Recipes on TSV!
If you try this kale recipe, please let me know! Leave a comment and rate it below. I love to hear what you think, or any changes you make.Print
CRISPY BAKED KALE CHIPS
Simple and flavorful, crispy baked kale chips are a delicious, healthy alternative to chips! Enjoy as a snack, tossed in salads, or crumbled up and topped on soups.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 10
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: Serves 8
- Category: Snack
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: Vegan
- 1 bunch of kale (curly or flat)
- 1 tbsp olive oil (I usually use a little less)
- mineral salt
- cracked pepper
- garlic powder
- nutritional yeast
- spice blend (cajun or chili powder)
- or whatever you feel like using…
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
Prep: Wash kale thoroughly and pat dry. Remove leaves from stem and break up into the medium sized chunks, about 1 – 2 inch pieces.
Add oil + seasoning: Put leaves into a large bowl and drizzle with olive oil. Massage until coated. Add herbs/spices and toss to coat.
Layer: Lay pieces on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper making sure to keep a little space between. Don’t overcrowd them or they may not cook evenly and take longer to cook. Use two baking sheets if needed.
Bake: Place them in the oven on the middle rack for about 10 min. Check after 6 minutes or so and flip any that seem to be browning too much on the edges.
Store: Keep baked kale chips in an airtight container for up to 5 – 6 days.
Different types of kale cook differently and you should watch your oven after 10 min until you have perfected your chip. Lacinato kale may cook a little faster and should be watched closely after 10 minutes.
Nutritional information is calculated with 1 bunch of kale and 1 tablespoons olive oil. Spices and additional topping are not calculated as that will depend on what you are using.