Crispy baked kale chips are one of my favorite ways to eat kale! Healthy and nutritious, this kale chip recipe bakes up light and crispy, making for a perfect snack. I can easily sit and eat a whole batch of kale chips one time!
Bundles of kale comes reasonably priced. I was able to pick up a couple bundles of kale for $1 each, that’s a great price for this nutritionally packed leafy green, making it an affordable, healthy snack!
Having healthy snacks on hand is always a plus, along with this kale chips recipe, I love having these other snack recipes on hand: Healthy Granola, Peanut Butter + Cacao Nib Rice Crispy Treats, and Almost Everything Trail Mix. They all make for great snacks to have around the house or take on the go!
So let’s get to it and make some crispy baked kale chips!
Best Types Of Kale To Use For Kale Chips
Choose your favorite kale. For this recipe I used curly kale. You can also use the more flat leaf kale, known as – lacinato, tuscan, dinosaur kale, cavolo nero, and black kale. I’ve played around using both ‘curly’ kale and the more flat ‘lacinato’ kale. Both types make for light & crispy baked kale chips.
HOW TO MAKE CRISPY BAKED KALE CHIPS
Making kale chips is super easy and take less then 30 minutes to make.
- Start by washing and drying the kale stalks, remove the hard center stem, and tear the kale leaves into 1 or 2 inch pieces.
- Add kale to a large mixing bowl, massage with olive oil and then toss with seasonings of choice.
- Lay your freshly tossed kale chips on a baking sheet and bake for about 10 minutes, keeping an eye on them after 6 minutes to keep them from being over baked.
And that’s it – once done you’ll have yourself a perfect batch of light & crispy kale chips. Get ready to devour the whole batch because you can’t eat just one, two or three!
Store you kale chips in an air tight container and eat within 5 – 6 days.
Different Kale Chips Seasonings
There are plenty of various ways to keep your kale chips interesting and different. Here’s a few suggestions to get you started.
- for the batch shown here, I’ve used za’atar, garlic powder, mineral salt and pepper
- for spicy, try using cayenne pepper or chipotle and himalayan salt
- a garlic sea salt blend would be great
- the simplicity of just salt & pepper is fantastic too
- add a sprinkle of nutritional yeast for a ‘cheezy’ flavor
- brown sugar & mineral salt for a sweet & salty flavor
Have fun and be creative!
More Ways To Use Kale
Kale is the powerhouse of the leafy greens, here are a few great kale recipes to add to the meal rotation. You just may find a new favorite!
- Kale, Quinoa & White Bean Soup
- Curry Red Lentil Stew with Kale & Chickpeas
- Kale & Quinoa Salad
- Crunchy Kale Salad + Citrus Dressing
- Kale & Quinoa Burrito Bowl
- And for all kale recipes in the archives: Kale Recipes
If you try this kale chip recipe, please let me know! Leave a comment and rate it below. I love to hear what you think, or any changes you make.
CRISPY BAKED KALE CHIPS
Simple and flavorful, crispy baked kale chips are a delicious, healthy alternative to chips!
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 10
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: Serves 8
- Category: Snack
- Cuisine: Vegan
- 1 bunch of kale (curly or flat)
- 1 tbsp olive oil (I usually use a little less)
- mineral salt
- cracked pepper
- nutritional yeast
- spice blend (cajun or chili powder)
- or whatever you feel like using…
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.Wash kale thoroughly and pat dry. Remove leaves from stem and break up into the medium sized chunks, about 1 – 2 inch pieces.
Put leaves into a large bowl and drizzle with olive oil. Massage until coated. Add herbs/spices and toss to coat.
Lay pieces on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper making sure to keep a little space between. Don’t overcrowd them or they may not cook evenly and take longer to cook. Use two baking sheets if needed.
Put them in the oven on the middle rack for about 10 min. Check after 6 minutes or so and flip any that seem to be browning too much on the edges.
Different types of kale cook differently and you should watch your oven after 10 min until you have perfected your chip. Lacinato kale may cook a little faster and should be watched closely after 10 minutes.
Nutritional information is calculated with 1 bunch of kale and 1 tablespoons olive oil. Spices and additional topping are not calculated as that will depend on what you are using.