Slow Cooker Minestrone Soup – Loaded with fresh vegetables, beans, pasta and cozy rich flavors of tomato and herbs, this healthy minestrone soup is naturally low fat, yet it’s packed with protein and fiber!
This minestrone soup recipe has been one of my family’s favorites for as long as I can remember! Filled with vegetables, beans and pasta it is naturally low in fat and oil free making it a hearty, yet healthy vegan soup recipe.
This easy slow cooker soup recipe requires just a bit of chopping and sauteing in the morning, then you can let it simmer away in the crock-pot until dinnertime.
A squeeze of lemon at the end adds a little acidity to make all the flavors pop, then you’ll wilt in some fresh spinach just before serving, so that it stays green and vibrant rather than disintegrating into the soup.
Ingredients You’ll Need
In this Italian minestrone recipe we’ll be slow-cooking a variety of vegetables in a crockpot creating a flavorful clear broth soup that’s hearty and delicious.
Here’s everything you’ll need:
- Green beans
- Kidney beans
- Cannellini beans
- Veggie broth
How To Make Slow Cooker Minestrone Soup
Cooking soup in a slow cooker is so easy, you can set it and forget it with a just a few easy steps and 10 minutes hands on.
- Add all the ingredients, except for the spinach and pasta, to the bowl of your slow cooker, ending with the broth and water. Give a good stir.
- Turn on HIGH and cook for 4 – 5 hours or LOW and cook for 7 – 8 hours.
- 30 minutes before soup is done, add the spinach to the slow cooker.
- While the soup is finishing, cook the pasta and add it to the soup when ready to serve. Remove the bay leaves.
Can I make minestrone soup on the stovetop? Yes, this Vegan Minestrone Soup is made on the stovetop and is super easy to make, and ready in about 30 minutes.
Tips For Your Best Minestrone Soup
- Change up the veggies: The ingredients for this Italian minestrone soup can be changed up with the seasons using what is available. Add other seasonal veggies such as corn, potatoes, winter squash, peas, parsnips, cabbage, kale, etc. Use frozen veggies when applicable.
- Make it gluten-free: Use gluten free pasta for a gluten free minestrone soup.
- Vary up the herbs: Change up the herbs using fresh or dried. Herbs such as Italian seasoning and herbs de provence are great. Individual herbs, dried or fresh, you can use include: oregano, basil, thyme, marjoram and parsley. Basil is a popular herb for minestrone.
- Add vegan sausage: Toss in some vegan sausage, diced or sliced for extra hardiness and protein.
- Cook the pasta separate, if it’s cooked in with the soup it becomes mushy and extremely unpleasant. For best results, cook the pasta ahead of time or 30 minutes before the soup is ready. You’ll be very happy to have firm pasta instead of mush!
How To Store Leftovers
- Refrigerator: Leftovers will keep for 5 – 6 days in the refrigerator, stored in a covered container.
- Freezer: This soup is freezer friendly and freezes well for up to 2 – 3 months. To freeze, let cool completely and store in freezer safe containers (affiliate link), leaving ½ inch head space for expansion. Let thaw before reheating. You can also freeze larger portions in large ziplock bags or containers.
- Reheat: Simply re-warm on the stovetop over low heat until warmed through. Alternately, reheat in the microwave using 30 second intervals, stirring after each, until warm. It makes a great meal prep for the week with homemade vegan cornbread, no knead bread or naan on the side for soaking up the juices.
I like to garnish my soup with parsley, a squeeze of lemon and twist of fresh cracked pepper. Here are a few of my favorite sides:
- Salad: Serve with a side salad like this Vegan Caesar Salad or Green Salad + Lemon Tahini Dressing.
- Toppings: And it pairs perfectly with this Almond Parmesan sprinkled overtop.
- Bread: Pair with homemade Artisan Bread, Sweet Chia Cornbread or Vegan Naan Bread for soaking up the juices.
- Sandwich: Serve with Roasted Red Pepper Sandwich, Grilled Hummus Sandwich with Sauteed Onion Tomato & Arugula, Sandwich or Favorite Vegetable Sandwich for a delicious soup and sandwich meal.
More Veggie Soup Recipes
- Tex-Mx Quinoa Vegetable Soup (Slow Cooker + Stovetop)
- Lemony Chickpea Orzo Soup
- Potato, Leek & White Bean Soup
- Parsnip & Split Pea Soup (Slow Cooker)
- Rustic Cabbage, Potato & White Bean Soup
If you try this slow cooker minestrone recipe, please let me know! Leave a comment and rate it below. I love to hear what you think, or any changes you make.Print
EASY MINESTRONE SOUP (SLOW COOKER)
Slow Cooker Minestrone Soup Recipe – Loaded with vegetables, beans and pasta, this minestrone soup is made even easier in the slow cooker!
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 3 hours
- Total Time: 3 hours 10 minutes
- Yield: Serves 4 – 6 1x
- Category: Soup, Entree
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: Vegan, Italian
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 zucchini, cut into half moons
- ⅓ lb. green beans cut into 1 inch pieces, about 1 ½ cups
- 3 – 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (14oz) kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (14oz) cannellini or northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (28oz) diced tomatoes, with juices
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 – 3 bay leaves
- generous pinch of red pepper flakes, optional
- 4 – 5 cups vegetable broth or water (or combo)
- big handful of fresh spinach
- 1 cup pasta (small pasta such as elbow, shells, mini penne or rotini)
- mineral salt & pepper to taste
- lemon, juice of
- fresh chopped parsley
Add all the ingredients to your slow cooker, except for the spinach and pasta, ending with the broth last. Give a good stir and cook:
- HIGH for 4 – 5 hours
- LOW for 7 – 8 hours
Add spinach during the last 30 minutes of cooking. Cook the pasta according to package directions, adding to the soup once it has finished cooking. Remove bay leaves before serving.
Serve with squeeze of lemon and parsley overtop. Pairs great with Artisan Bread!
Serves 4 – 6
Store: Leftovers can be kept in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 – 5 days. To freeze, place into freezer-safe container and store for up to 3 months.
Vary up the seasoning with 1 or 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning or herbes de provence. Other dried herbs that would work include thyme or rosemary. Fresh herbs are great too!
Recipe adapted from Food Network.
Keywords: Slow Cooker Minestrone Soup