Roasted Sweet Potato Salad with chickpeas, crispy shallots, fresh greens, and creamy lemon-tahini dressing is a warm and welcome vegan salad to keep nourished and happy!
Sweet potatoes, I’m totally in love with them at the moment (and forever more). They are healthy, versatile and great roasted and served in fresh green salads!
This Roasted Sweet Potato Salad is a delicious combination of flavors, texture and colors for a warm and hearty fall salad that’s perfect for the cooler months when turning on the oven is welcome.
As a food blogger, I tend to skip around a lot, but I’ve made this tasty sweet potato salad a few times over the last few weeks. It’s one of those salads I find myself craving and I think you’ll love it as much as I do!
Ingredients You’ll Need
In this easy recipe, sweet potatoes and chickpeas are roasted, shallots are sauteed until crispy and served with fresh leafy greens and creamy tahini dressing for a warm and delicious vegan salad.
Here is everything you will need:
- sweet potato
- olive oil
- garlic powder
- chipotle – sub with or smoked paprika
- leafy greens – use your favorite of leafy greens (I used baby kale)
- pepitas – pumpkin seeds
- tahini – use store bought or make homemade tahini
How To Make Roasted Sweet Potato Salad
- Roast the sweet potatoes. Place sweet potato and chickpeas on a large rimmed baking sheet, drizzle with oil and spices, toss to coat. Place in the oven and roast for about 30 min, or until sweet potatoes are fork tender.
- Make the dressing. In a small bowl, whisk together the tahini, lemon, water and salt. Set aside.
- Make the crispy shallots. Prep the shallots and saute for about 5 minutes stirring frequently. Lower heat to medium low and cook the shallots until nicely browned, about another 5 – 10 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside on a paper towel lined plate (if you leave them in the pan to cool, they may cook a bit more (possibly overcook) since the pan will still be hot). Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper if you like.
- Assemble the salad. Add leafy greens to serving dish/plate, top with ½ of the roasted sweet potatoes and chickpeas along with ½ of the crispy shallots. Add a sprinkle of pepitas over top and drizzle with ½ of the dressing. Add a squeeze of the remaining lemon half over to if you like!
And there you have it, a great salad that’s both hearty and filling!
How To Store + Meal Prep
- Refrigerator: Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 4 – 5 days in a covered container.
- Meal prep: If making for meal prep, store the dressing separately from the salad until ready to serve.
Great alone, this warm sweet potato salad also pairs well with a little something on the side. Here are a few of my favorite options:
- Veggie: Serve with sliced avocado or a side of Crispy Baked Kale Chips, or better yet add a few crumbled kale chips to your salad!
- Soup: Serve with a bowl of Vegan Cauliflower Soup or Vegan Potato Leek Soup.
- Grain: Toss in ¼ – ⅓ cup of Quinoa or Farro (<Instant Pot recipes) for added heartiness and fiber.
- Bread: Pair with a slice of homemade Artisan Bread or gluten-free Socca.
More Healthy Salad Recipes
- Vegan Cobb Salad
- Strawberry Spinach Salad
- Vegan Caesar Salad
- Roasted Butternut Squash Salad
- Simple Green Salad + Lemon Tahini Dressing
If you try this sweet potato salad recipe, please let me know! Leave a comment and rate it below. I love to hear what you think, or any changes you make.Print
ROASTED SWEET POTATO SALAD
Healthy and nourishing, this Roasted Sweet Potato Salad with chickpeas, crispy shallots and creamy tahini dressing will be a new favorite!
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: Serves 2 1x
- Category: Salad, Entree
- Method: roast, mix
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegan
- 1 large sweet potato, diced
- 1 can (14oz) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 large shallot, sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- pinch garlic powder
- pinch chili, chipotle or smoked paprika powder
- pinch pink salt
- 6 oz. leafy greens of choice (I used baby kale)
- 2 tablespoons pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
Simple Lemon Tahini Dressing
- 3 tablespoons tahini
- juice of ½ medium lemon
- 2–3 tablespoons water, + more as needed
- pink salt, to taste
Preheat oven to 400F.
Roast: Place sweet potato and chickpeas on a large rimmed baking sheet lined with a silpat, parchment paper or lightly greased. Drizzle with oil, toss to coat. Sprinkle a few dashes of salt, garlic and chili powder of choice over top. Place in the oven and roast for about 25 – 30 min, stirring once halfway through, potatoes will be ready when they are fork tender. Ovens vary so your cooking time may be more or less.
Crispy shallots: Heat remaining oil in a small/medium pan over medium heat, add shallots and cook for about 5 minutes stirring frequently. Lower heat to medium low and cook the shallots until nicely browned, about another 5 – 10 minutes. Once browned to your liking, remove from pan and set aside on a paper towel lined plate (if you leave them in the pan to cool, they may cook a bit more (possibly overcook) since the pan will still be hot). Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper if you like.
Dressing: Place the dressing ingredients in a small bowl, mix well and add more water as needed to thin. Set aside.
Serve: Add leafy greens to serving dish/plate, top with ½ of the roasted sweet potatoes and chickpeas along with ½ of the crispy shallots. Add a sprinkle of pepitas over top and drizzle with ½ of the dressing. Add a squeeze of the remaining lemon half over to if you like!
Store: Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 – 4 days in a covered container.
Keywords: roasted sweet potato salad
Updated: Roasted Sweet Potato Salad was originally published in September 2015. It has been retested and updated with new photos and helpful tips in March 2020. Recipe has stayed the same and is still delicious!