Vegan Mushroom Soup – From casual to elegant, this creamy mushroom soup is dairy-free, easy to make, tastes amazing, and is a mushroom lover’s delight!
Brimming with mushrooms and full of fantastic flavor, this vegan cream of mushroom soup recipe has quickly become a new favorite!
Why We Love This Recipe!
- It’s quick and easy (start to finish in 40 minutes!), perfect for a weeknight dinner.
- You likely have most of the ingredients on hand right now, you’ll just need the mushrooms and optional wine.
- It’s cooks in one pot.
- The hardest part is slicing the mushrooms, but you can cheat and pick up pre-sliced for ease and convenience.
Without further ado, let’s make soup!
Ingredient Notes + Substitutions
Creamy mushroom soup from scratch has a depth of flavor that’s healthy and so much better than canned soups, thanks to fresh ingredients and herbs. Here is everything you’ll need, including substitution ideas when applicable.
- Mushrooms: Fresh brown or cremini mushrooms are great for this recipe. I’ve also used a mix of baby bella and white mushrooms. You could even use mini portobello mushrooms, shitake, or any combination of your favorite mushroom.
- Wine: My secret ingredient for an excellent mushroom soup is a vegan dry wine, red or white. See if your favorite wine is vegan at Barnivore. Of course, you can omit this and your soup will still be delicious!
- Aromatics: These include onion and garlic. Feel free to sub with red onion if needed. And if you don’t have fresh garlic on hand, use 3 -4 teaspoons of garlic powder.
- Herbs: My favorite herbs for this mushroom soup are thyme and parsley. Feel free to change it up using a herb blend such as herbes de Provence or even Italian seasoning. Or use your favorites such as rosemary, tarragon, oregano, tarragon, basil, or chives.
- Coconut Milk: Full-fat coconut milk or coconut cream will add the most delicious richness without a coconuty flavor. Do feel free to use low-fat coconut milk instead. If you don’t care for coconut or want to keep it low in fat, substitute using your favorite unsweetened plant milk or this Vegan Cream.
- Vegetable broth: We prefer to use low-sodium veggie broth or this vegetable concentrate (amazon affiliate link) that is mixed with water and gives you the most control over the addition of sodium.
- Optional cornstarch: This soup isn’t super thick, so if you want to achieve a creamier texture and body, add the cornstarch slurry. I recommend 3 tablespoons of organic cornstarch mixed with 1/4 cup water, to be added towards the end of cooking.
How To Make Vegan Cream Of Mushroom Soup
All it takes is a few simple steps. Here is a quick overview with photos for reference (plus, who doesn’t love to see a big pot of beautiful sauteed mushrooms!).
(Note: You can find the full printable recipe card at the bottom of the post)
- Saute the onions and garlic for 5 minutes (to make this oil-free, use 1/4 cup water for water saute).
- Add the mushrooms and wine, cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the broth, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes, adding plant milk in the last 5 minutes.
- Add the optional cornstarch, remove from heat and stir in the parsley.
That’s it, simple and delicious!
- Refrigerator: Store leftover soup in the refrigerator for up to 4 – 5 days, stored covered.
- Freezer: To freeze mushroom soup, let it cool completely. My favorite way to store soup is in serving-size portions using freezer-safe containers or baggies. Will last 2 – 3 months. Let thaw in the refrigerator before reheating.
- Reheat: Warm your leftover soup on the stove over medium-low heat until warmed through. Or heat it in the microwave for a few minutes, stopping to stir every so often.
Pair this mushroom soup with a side for an even heartier and filling meal. Here are a few of my favorite options:
- Bread: We love to pair it with a slice of homemade Artisan Bread, soft & chewy Naan Bread, or gluten-free Socca flatbread for soaking up the juices.
- Grain: Add bulk by adding 1/2 cup or so of white rice, brown rice, or farro as a side or stirred it in for texture and heartiness.
- Salad: Add freshness with a simple leafy green salad topped with Vegan Ranch, Lemon-Herb Hemp Dressing or Healthy Flax & Evo Balsamic Vinaigrette.
- Veggies: Serve with a side of Savory Sauteed Kale, Crispy Baked Kale Chips or double up the mushrooms with this Kale & Mushroom Gratin.
More Easy Mushroom Recipes!
For mushroom lovers, here are a few other delicious recipes to try:
- Easy Portobello Fajitas
- Vegan Mushroom Gravy
- Mushroom Bourguignon
- Garlicky Mushroom + Kale with Linguine
- See all mushroom recipes on TSV!
Let me know if you try this mushroom soup recipe! Leave a comment and rate it below. I love to hear what you think, or any changes you make.Print
VEGAN MUSHROOM SOUP
From casual to elegant, this creamy vegan mushroom soup is dairy-free, easy to make, tastes amazing and is a mushroom lover’s delight!
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: Serves 4 – 6 1x
- Category: Dinner, Soup
- Method: Simmer, Stovetop
- Cuisine: Vegan, American
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, vegan butter (I love Miyoko’s), or 1/4 cup water
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 lbs. mushrooms (cremini or white), sliced
- 1/2 cup vegan dry white wine (red ok too), optional
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme or 1 1/2 teaspoons dried
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons organic cornstarch or arrowroot (+ 1/4 cup water), optional
- 1 can (14oz.) coconut milk (light or full-fat) or 1 1/2 cups vegan cream or unsweetened cashew milk,*see notes
- mineral salt & pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
Saute: In a large pot, heat oil or water over medium heat, saute the onions and garlic for 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms, thyme and wine, cook for 5 minutes.
Simmer: Add the broth, bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. In the last five minutes, add the coconut or plant milk, continue cooking for five minutes.
Slurry: Mix the cornstarch with cool water. Add to the soup and stir frequently for 1 – 2 minutes until soup slightly thickens. If the soup is too thin, add more cornstarch slurry as needed until desired consistency is reached.
Remove from heat and stir in the parsley. Season with salt and pepper.
Serves 4 – 6
Store: Leftovers will keep in the refrigerator for 4 – 5 days, store covered. To keep longer, store in the freezer using freezer safe containers or baggies for up to 2 – 3 months.
In place of thyme, try using herbes de provence.
*To keep this recipe low fat, use unsweetened plant milk of choice, make sure it’s at room temp so the soup can heat back up quickly. You may definitely want to use the cornstarch to add body and volume if not using coconut milk.
Vegan wine: See if your favorite wine is vegan or search for a new one at Barnivore.
Keywords: vegan mushroom soup, mushroom soup recipe, dairy-free mushroom soup