Oven roasted red potatoes tossed on a sheet pan with olive oil, seasoned with herbs and spices, and baked until tender on the inside and golden on the outside are simple and easy to make!
With a bag of red potatoes left over from experimenting with these Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes, and some fresh thyme from this Mushroom Gravy recipe, I thought I’d use them both in this classic oven roasted red potato recipe.
And OH MY, they are absolutely delicious – and so easy too!
From casual to elegant, roasted red potatoes make a great simple side dish for picnics, parties, holiday get-togethers and gatherings of all kinds. So let’s get to it and make some flavorful sheet pan roasted red potatoes!
Ingredients You’ll Need
Here’s what you’ll need, plus tips and ideas on how to vary up the recipe.
- Red Potatoes – Use baby red potatoes or regular sized.
- Olive Oil – Regular olive oil is great, but for variation I like to use garlic infused olive oil!
- Garlic Powder – Use a little more garlic powder if you like, I used 1/2 teaspoon which was just right for me, and not overpowering.
- Thyme – In place of fresh thyme, you can use fresh chopped rosemary, parsley, or even oregano. Dried herbs are just as good. I use 1 teaspoon, but feel free to add more or less.
- Parsley – Fresh parsley adds wonderful flavor and brightness to the roasted potatoes
- Salt & Pepper – I used flaky salt because large flaky salt is awesome. Sea salt and kosher salt works too!
- Equipment – For lining my baking sheets, I use either this Silpat or these pre-cut parchment liners (affiliate links), both are great!
How To Make Oven Roasted Red Potatoes
The prep time only takes minutes, while roasting in the oven takes about an hour.
- Be sure to scrub your potatoes well, removing any unsightly spots, then slice in half and quarter the potatoes (if using baby potatoes feel free to cut in them half instead).
- Place potatoes on sheet pan, drizzle with olive oil, thyme (or rosemary), garlic powder, salt and pepper, and toss well to coat. For really caramelized potatoes, place the flesh sides down, they will get nice and flavorful.
- Place in preheated oven, set at 425 F and bake for 40 – 45 minutes.
- Let cool and serve with a sprinkle of chopped parsley. Parsley adds a nice bright flavor and freshness to the oven roasted potatoes. I highly recommend not skipping it!
And there you have it – deliciously, rustic roasted red potatoes for the whole family to enjoy!
How To Store Leftovers
Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 4 – 5 days in a covered container.
Can You Freeze Roasted Potatoes?
Yes, they freeze beautifully for up to 2 – 3 months if stored properly. To freeze, let the potatoes cool completely and store them in small portions or large portions using freezer friendly containers or ziplock bags. Make sure to squeeze out any excess air before sealing. Use a marker to date the baggies or add dated stickers to containers.
How Do You Reheat Roasted Potatoes?
To reheat roasted potatoes, simply re-roast them in a preheated oven set at 400 degrees F. for 10 – 15 minutes, until warmed through. You can also zap them in the microwave for 2 – 3 minutes, stopping to stir every 1 minute.
These crispy red potatoes are super versatile and can be served anytime of day! Here are a few of my favorite options:
- Serve as a side with The Ultimate Vegetable Lentil Loaf or Lentil Walnut Loaf.
- For breakfast, serve with this Tofu Scramble with Dijon or Southwest Tofu Scramble.
- Pair with these Mini Chickpea Flour Frittatas.
- Serve with Savory Sauteed Kale or Vegan Collard Greens.
- Serve with a drizzle of Garlic Aioli, Sriracha Cashew Sauce or Creamy Lemon- Herb Hemp Dressing.
More Easy Potato Recipes!
- Crispy Smashed Potatoes
- Fresh Herb Potato Salad
- Classic Vegan Potato Salad
- Creamy Chickpea & Potato Salad
- Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- 5 Ingredient Kielbasa with Peppers and Potatoes
If you try this easy roasted potato recipe, please let me know! Leave a comment and rate it below. I love to hear what you think, or any changes you make.Print
EASY OVEN-ROASTED RED POTATOES
From casual to elegant, easy oven roasted red potatoes are a simple side dish for picnics, parties, and holiday get-togethers!
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 55 min
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Yield: Serves 6 – 8 1x
- Category: Side
- Cuisine: Vegan
- 2 pounds (90 kg) red potatoes, quartered
- 2 – 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, optional
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon mineral salt, or to taste
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, or to taste
- chopped fresh parsley, to serve
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (232 C). Line a sheet pan with parchment, a silpat, or lightly grease with oil.
Prep: Scrub potatoes well, slice in half and cut into quarters (if using baby potatoes you may rather just cut them in half).
Season: Place potatoes on sheet pan, drizzle with oil, herbs and spices, toss well to coat and spread in a single layer.
Roast: Place baking sheet in the oven, on middle rack, and roast for 40 – 45 minutes, stirring 2 – 3 times.
Remove from oven, let cool a few minutes and serve warm with chopped parsley sprinkled overtop.
Serves 6 – 8
Pair these roasted red potatoes with this The Ultimate Vegetable Lentil Loaf, or serve as a mono meal or side drizzled with this Garlic Aioli, Sriracha Cashew Sauce or Creamy Lemon- Herb Hemp Dressing!
In place of fresh thyme, you can use fresh chopped rosemary, parsley, or even oregano. Dried herbs are just as good. I use 1 teaspoon, but feel free to add more or less.
Use a little more garlic powder if you like, I used 1/2 teaspoon which was just right for me, and not overpowering.
Recipe can easily be halved, or doubled for a crowd.